Is the i3 2100 much better than the g1840?

Solution

yes. the i3 can execute 4 threads to the 2 the g1840 can. especially if you do those things at the same time
the more things you have running the more threads you want to run.
the threads are like lanes on a road, no matter the speed limit a dual lane highway lets fewer cars pass than a 4 lane highway.
the i3 will go longer before traffic jamming - so to speak. its a clumsy analogy but I hope it illustrates my point

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Depends on what you are doing for either. You can use it for web browsing and general productivity software. You should also be able to play HD video from YouTube, NetFlix, or even from an attached Blu-Ray drive. If you want to do video/audio/CAD work, or even high end gaming, then I would suggest a beefier CPU.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

yes. the i3 can execute 4 threads to the 2 the g1840 can. especially if you do those things at the same time
the more things you have running the more threads you want to run.
the threads are like lanes on a road, no matter the speed limit a dual lane highway lets fewer cars pass than a 4 lane highway.
the i3 will go longer before traffic jamming - so to speak. its a clumsy analogy but I hope it illustrates my point

Solution