100 Mbps ethernet port running at only 20 mbps?

Grimfyre

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
So I am using a laptop which can get 20-30 mbps on my wi-fi when my internet speed is 200mbps on my cell phone and 100mbps on my ps4.... So i decided to hard wire it with my ethernet cable that i used to have in my pc.... But the speed is only at 20mbps.

If the port is a 100mbps port shouldn't it run faster then 20mbps? What could be the problem?

Solution
G
The 10 MB/s makes sense. And the speedtest really talks about mbps, I think. Maybe try another speedtest server. Maybe your router can't handle the WAN to LAN. I'm not sure. Humm, it's beyond my expertise at this point. Networks move magic pixie dust which sometime behave strangely.
G

Are you confusing Mbps and MBps? 100 Mbps runs 100 Mega bites per second, which means 100/8 = 12 Mega Bytes per second. And some 100 Mbps ports actually run faster which might give you 20 MBps. Even a Gygabite ethernet port has a max 125 MBps limit, which it won't achieve, because overhead of the protocol.

Grimfyre

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014

So the wierd thing is... while I am installing World of Warcraft the Network speed in my task manager says it is going 80mbps which is 10MB/s ... but speedtest.net says my speed is around 10-20mbps and yeah it doesn't say MB it says Mbps so not sure honestly.

G

The 10 MB/s makes sense. And the speedtest really talks about mbps, I think. Maybe try another speedtest server. Maybe your router can't handle the WAN to LAN. I'm not sure. Humm, it's beyond my expertise at this point. Networks move magic pixie dust which sometime behave strangely.

Solution