when will 1060 prices drop?

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013
and what do you think they will drop to?

i understand the lowest they have been is $200 for some models and as ethereum mining is not as profitable as people thought, would it be worth getting a cheap used one that might be dumped into market in the next few months?

Solution
GTX1060 prices will drop the day after you buy one for $250.

More seriously...
What do you have now?
Are you looking for a new build, or are you upgrading?
There is a shortage, now for high end cards good for mining.
That has resulted in many buying a notch lower performing cards, increasing demand and prices for them.
Have you considered going big to a GTX1080?
For whatever reason, they are not as good for mining as the GTX1070.

You will usually get a good value on a used card on Ebay that is being sold by an individual who is upgrading.
Check completed auctions to see what the actual selling price was.
GTX1060 prices will drop the day after you buy one for $250.

More seriously...
What do you have now?
Are you looking for a new build, or are you upgrading?
There is a shortage, now for high end cards good for mining.
That has resulted in many buying a notch lower performing cards, increasing demand and prices for them.
Have you considered going big to a GTX1080?
For whatever reason, they are not as good for mining as the GTX1070.

You will usually get a good value on a used card on Ebay that is being sold by an individual who is upgrading.
Check completed auctions to see what the actual selling price was.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think there's a certain inertia. Ethereum has dropped some, but has it dropped enough to not be profitable?

I've started to see the occasional Ethereum mining rig being sold on Craigslist now. Still, I think it's going to take a little time for the video card prices to drop.

If I were to guess at a couple of factors:
1 - is it still profitable, even if less so?
2 - will there be people getting into it not knowing that it's on the downward trend
3 - will there be wishful thinking keeping it going
also
4 - will pent up demand for video cards for gaming purposes keep the price elevated, even if less so than it is now?

Me? I'm waiting for RX Vega to be released, regardless of whether or not it lives up to the hype, and regardless of whether or not I actually buy it. Also, waiting for the inevitable glut of used cards to start flooding the market and driving prices down.

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

im looking to upgrade my faulty gtx 760, im only looking for max settings on 1080p which 1080 is just overkill. i just wish stupid miners bought super high end cards instead of mid range

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I've been seeing reports that the Etherum boom has gone bust and the coin mining craze is starting to die down a bit. I've seen stores take measures against beating the bots by bundling GPUs with other unnecessary items to get GPUs sold to people who need them. The shortage will end soon, but the question is how soon enough?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can say that even though my new, larger monitor makes my current video card struggle, I simply refuse to have anything to do with upgrading until the madness passes.

I'm actually hoping to take advantage of a glut when people start trying to sell off all the cards... but, that may or may not happen as dramatically as I'd wish it to.

I'm patient. Well, I should say, ULTIMATELY, I'm patient. I'll turn down some details and deal with some choppiness, because I'm not really a hard core FPS type. I'll grumble, and rant about the cryptocurrency craze, etc., but at the end of the day, my frugal side teams up with my stubborn side and wins out over my need for quick gratification. "I'm not paying THAT much for that g*ddamn card!!"

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to do as well. I am interested in getting an 8GB RX580 but the shortage of any AMD cards has left a lot to be desired. I definitely got my motherboard and CPU at the right time though.