R7 370 very high load temperatures!

Tabeeb

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I've had this XFX radeon r7 370 double dissipation for 2 years. I just used MSI Afterburner software to monitor my GPU's temperatures.

The card idles at 40 degrees Celsius. However when I stressed with Unigine Heaven at extreme at 1080p, its temperature slowly went up to 98 degrees, and it stayed a consistent 98 degrees for a long time before I decided to quit. I tried at 1600x900 and it still went up to 95 before I decided to quit. I also tried out CS:GO and it make it goes up to ~90 and reached a peak of 93.

The card is supposed have a base clock of 995 MHz but when it reaches 85 degrees it downclocks to 875 MHz. And I was thinking about overclocking this. :(

I read online that people get higher idle temps than me but lower load temps. (One guy got 55 and 85 respectively.) Apart from having a dusty PC, what else could cause these high load temps?

Solution
The most common, after dust, is old thermal paste that needs replacing and poor airflow. Do you have enough case fans? If you're not sure, run with the side panel off and see if the temperature drops.
As for thermal paste, if you've had a couple of years without replacing it, it's most likely time you did, especially on an AMD GPU. If you don't have paste, you'll need to buy some, plus some alcohol based cleaner to remove the old paste. Youtube is a good place to find a how to guide.
The most common, after dust, is old thermal paste that needs replacing and poor airflow. Do you have enough case fans? If you're not sure, run with the side panel off and see if the temperature drops.
As for thermal paste, if you've had a couple of years without replacing it, it's most likely time you did, especially on an AMD GPU. If you don't have paste, you'll need to buy some, plus some alcohol based cleaner to remove the old paste. Youtube is a good place to find a how to guide.

Solution

Tabeeb

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that yes, I do have the side panel off. I'll do what you recommended, thanks for the suggestion.