960 EVO M.2 only works PCI-E Gen2 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen3993

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Hi!

Today I bought a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD (it has 3200MB/s read and 1500MB/s write speed). I put into my motherboard, whitch is a Gigabyte GA-Z97x Gaming 3. (my CPU is i7 4790k) It works, but there is a problem.

It only works in PCI-e Gen2 x2 mode, and it has 820MB/s read and 750MB/s write speed. The M.2 slot is in PCI mode, and there is just a MSi 970 in the PCI_E1. I also installed all drivers. (the samsung magician program too)

On the offical site there is: "Turbo M.2: delivering next generation M.2 Gen3 x4 performance with transfer speeds up to 32 Gb/s"

What can I do now? What is the problem?

Solution
Can you confirm if this is the same official site of your motherboard you have mentioned: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-3-rev-10#ov

It states that the M.2 socket of the Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 are:

"M.2 for SSDs drives with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer"

and

"GIGABYTE G1™ Gaming motherboards come equipped with an onboard M.2 slot, providing users PCI-Express connectivity for SSD devices. Delivering up to 10 Gb/s data transfer speeds, M.2 offers users considerably faster storage performance than current mSATA and even SATA Revision 3 (6Gb/s) storage devices."

Based on the specs, your motherboard doesn't seem to provide PCIe3.0 x4 speeds on its M.2 socket, only 10 Gb/s (equal to...
Can you confirm if this is the same official site of your motherboard you have mentioned: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-3-rev-10#ov

It states that the M.2 socket of the Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 are:

"M.2 for SSDs drives with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer"

and

"GIGABYTE G1™ Gaming motherboards come equipped with an onboard M.2 slot, providing users PCI-Express connectivity for SSD devices. Delivering up to 10 Gb/s data transfer speeds, M.2 offers users considerably faster storage performance than current mSATA and even SATA Revision 3 (6Gb/s) storage devices."

Based on the specs, your motherboard doesn't seem to provide PCIe3.0 x4 speeds on its M.2 socket, only 10 Gb/s (equal to 1.25GB/s), which is roughly PCIe2.0 x2 speeds.

Solution

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
Dear John,
You seem knowledgable. In this case, I have a PCIe adapter for a stick drive already, but:
Is M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x2 (PCIe Gen3 x2) NVMe SSD Compatible in a PCIe 2.0 Slot.

I have the WOS on a UEFI Shell that will not see a HDD in SATA.

Can I solve this problem, the UEFI SHELL problem using a PCIe slot SSD???

Status
Not open for further replies.