R9 380 4GB Problem.

cool3r

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Here's the deal.
I was playing some Watch Dogs 2 on my MSI Gaming r
R9 380 4GB and i noticed that the temps are too high (99c) so i shut down my pc.
I cleaned the gpu and replaced the thermal paste, and then i played Titanfall 2 and then my pc just restared and i keep getting a black screen sicne then, i'm afraid that the gpu is dead, since i can use my pc with my integrated gpu, but when i put my r9 380 it beeps but no image, just black screen, fans do not spin either, please tell me that there is a solution for this.
PC Specs:
2x4gb Kingston XyperX Savage
I3 6100
1tb wd blue
H110 m s2p mobo

Solution
I don't know what may've gone wrong.
You hear people warn about the dangers of static discharge and be sure to ground yourself before doing any work on your computer, but I've never experienced any damage caused by static, so that's kind of unlikely. Then there's thermal paste that's conductive getting on the contacts of the processor, but again, this is very unlikely as most paste now days is non-conductive.
It is possible that you physically damaged a component and didn't realize, but if you were careful, this is unlikely too. I'm out of ideas and it doesn't look like anyone else is rushing in with an idea.

I guess the normal advice would be to try it in another computer and see if it works in it, if not, then it may be dead.
I don't know what may've gone wrong.
You hear people warn about the dangers of static discharge and be sure to ground yourself before doing any work on your computer, but I've never experienced any damage caused by static, so that's kind of unlikely. Then there's thermal paste that's conductive getting on the contacts of the processor, but again, this is very unlikely as most paste now days is non-conductive.
It is possible that you physically damaged a component and didn't realize, but if you were careful, this is unlikely too. I'm out of ideas and it doesn't look like anyone else is rushing in with an idea.

I guess the normal advice would be to try it in another computer and see if it works in it, if not, then it may be dead.

Solution

xXxREBELOxXx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2015
I would say since you thought it was a good idea to disassemble and re-paste your card right after you exposed it to near 100C temps, that you are very daft. In all seriousness though because of this, no one but you is able to confirm what happened to the card. My guess is that you broke it when working on it, why? A dead chip doesn't mean dead fans. In other words if 99C was the source of damage here (99C isn't gonna break anything, but it will cause degradation over time) I am very sure that other components on the card would still work. Another thing is, never and I mean never shut down a hot PC! How is your graphics card going to control those 100 degree temps with no running fans? Great, so you see that 380 is overheating and then decide to turn off all system fans by shutting down and give it a good heat bath? You have to think logically, not panic like you did there, for instance closing the game and letting the video card cool to idle temps first is what you should have done. Take this as a lesson because that is all you can do if your card is dead.