1700(x) vs i7-7700k

itzzkolt

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
With all of the other forum posts I have elsewhere and watching many benchmarks comparing both the processors, I still am stuck deciding which one to pursue as I don't want to make a bad decision. Every since I returned my new 6700k for the 7700k, I was holding off purchasing as a result of the R7 launch. Many months past and I really want to get my new build going as a have a Noctua cooler, ddr4 ram and case collecting dust in the basement.

I consider myself to be a medium gamer. I play Arma 3, American & Euro truck simulator, other sims and I want to play Battlefield 1 (once I get my new PC). Also GTA 5 too but I've seen the 7700k overtakes the R7 with that game. With that being said, I also have some intention to stream. Maybe 1 or 2 times a week, maybe more, maybe. Rendering occurs rarely but if I get a new CPU I might render a bit more. But yeah I have a very difficult time leveraging between 4c & the 8c CPU now with the Coffee Lake on the way, I really don't know what to do.

I've also heard a lot of things bad about the bios regarding ram limitations on most boards and that you can only get 2400MHz with the R7 - but I don't know if that has been worked out

My system includes (the new setup) will have a MSI 980TI, Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz 8x2GB

Solution

I'm not so sure those 12 or 16 cores from Threadripper at sub 3.4 GHz or so would fare very well in typical gaming loads...; doubt that's a cpu most would be anticipating too much gaming hype over, goofy/ overpriced Alienware excluded, of course... Although certainly, a few dolts/ idiots will buy an Alienware SLI Threadripper, convinced lots of cores and PCI-e lanes are needed for SLI, despite the Z270/7700K rigs outframing him for $1200-$1400 less (CPU/MB cost) But, in true form...
I've yet to see an actual game (as opposed to game demo/benchmark) the 7700K doesn't overtake almost *any* processor in at 1080P, quite truthfully...

My 7700K and Noctua NH-D15 arrived in the mail the day after Ryzen went 'pre-orders today'-launched, and, now a few months later, I don't regret the choice one bit...

I'm curious to see if the 6c/12t 8700K can even match the 7700K's performance in games, truthfully...(due to it's lower 3.7 GHz base clocks)

Above 1080p Ryzen 7 runs identical to the 7700k give or take a few frames either way, and the added threads help in other situations which is why when buying new high end systems without existing hardware I no longer recommend an i7 unless the extra clock speed is really necessary for specific low-thread-high clock speed reliant software.
In saying that however, it isn't worth the upgrade, the 7700k is still fantastic for your use, I wouldn't bother going above it.

itzzkolt

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Isn't the release months away?

I have a 980ti in my current computer and for the new one I will be moving it to there.

I have DDR4 ram listed above.

itzzkolt

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Well I have the ram and the cooler , the only thing I need is the CPU. I don't know which one to buy the 7700k or 1700 for what I do

I'm not so sure those 12 or 16 cores from Threadripper at sub 3.4 GHz or so would fare very well in typical gaming loads...; doubt that's a cpu most would be anticipating too much gaming hype over, goofy/ overpriced Alienware excluded, of course... Although certainly, a few dolts/ idiots will buy an Alienware SLI Threadripper, convinced lots of cores and PCI-e lanes are needed for SLI, despite the Z270/7700K rigs outframing him for $1200-$1400 less (CPU/MB cost) But, in true form, at least the Threadripper can claim some sort of victory over 12% cpu utilization, despite the lower performance... :)

Solution