8350 Temps High

RebelEdits

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
So, I own a 212 evo with my 8350 and whenever I go and check my temps (HWMonitor) its very confusing numbers.
On the temperatures tab it says my CPU at idle is between 40c and 43c
However, on the CPU tab when I look at temperatures it says its between 23c-27c
https://gyazo.com/1e21db086a3a0ab0991b42736ed408f9 (Gyazo link of HWmonitor as reference)

My question is why am I getting these temperatures and what can I do to bring them down if they are high or which once should I be looking at for temperatures?

Specs:
Fx 8350 (Stock Speeds and Voltages)
Asus M5A99FX R2.0
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (running at 1866 due to my mobo limitations)
2x 1TB 7.2k HDDs
MSI R9 380 4GB GDDR5 Gaming Editing
EVGA 500w PSU (I do plan to upgrade this soon)
I also have 5 fans in my PC. 2 in the top, 1 in the back, and 2 in the front. Back and top exhaust front intakes.

Also, I should include that I have tried reseating and reapplying different thermal pastes and only captured about 1-2c difference each time whether it was higher or lower. Opening the side of my case does seem to bring it down about 5ish or more degrees. So airflow would be my next option however when I first got the case and applied all specs above to the PC my temps were idleing at about 30c on both ends of HWmonitor.

Solution
FYI I have a 8350 and that exact same motherboard, I think you made a good choice there

your temps are fine.

the 40-43 is your cpu socket temp which is normal for idle which is normal and inline for your case temp reading

the cpu tab is trying to read the cpu die temp which is not accurate at idle temps. (the temp reading is actually suppose to be read as thermal margin or the temp from max safe temp it was never intended to be used as a actual temp sensor and is highly inaccurate at cool temps but is accurate near the dies max temp where it has to be accurate at.)

some reading

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

but the basic info thermal margin using "AMD overdrive software"...
FYI I have a 8350 and that exact same motherboard, I think you made a good choice there

your temps are fine.

the 40-43 is your cpu socket temp which is normal for idle which is normal and inline for your case temp reading

the cpu tab is trying to read the cpu die temp which is not accurate at idle temps. (the temp reading is actually suppose to be read as thermal margin or the temp from max safe temp it was never intended to be used as a actual temp sensor and is highly inaccurate at cool temps but is accurate near the dies max temp where it has to be accurate at.)

some reading

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

but the basic info thermal margin using "AMD overdrive software" should be 40c or higher at idle... under a 100% stress (like prime 95 small test) test should not be any lower then 10c ideally shouldn't be below 15c.... 0c is max safe die temp and the start of thermal throttling any negative value is overheating

Solution