Solved

Help! My graphic card driver keeps crashing my system (NVIDIA)

Hello,

This problem occured around 1 month ago, I have tried EVERYTHING to solve it, nothing worked.
Reinstalling using DDU, 20 other older nvidia drivers, changing power settings and adjusting nvidia control panel settings, still same problem.

Screen first goes black for 1-2 sec, then goes back to normal with ''Driver has stopped working and recovered'', the process repeates for couple of times before computer just shuts down.

I also used GPU-Z to log what happens with my GPU, here it is: https://file.io/Rp1oL8

I really don't know what to do anymore...

Thanks in advance!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphic card driver crashing system nvidia
  1. It's going to be a little tough to identify - but I would suspect (given what you've described & the troubleshooting you've already done) that there's a dependency somewhere between drivers, and the issue is elsewhere (chipset etc).

    How old is your OS install? Was it upgraded from a prior OS (7, 8.x)? Are you other drivers up to date from your motherboard vendors site?
  2. Barty1884 said:
    It's going to be a little tough to identify - but I would suspect (given what you've described & the troubleshooting you've already done) that there's a dependency somewhere between drivers, and the issue is elsewhere (chipset etc).

    How old is your OS install? Was it upgraded from a prior OS (7, 8.x)? Are you other drivers up to date from your motherboard vendors site?


    It's a story of its own, first, it started on Win7, I thought it was an OS problem, switched to Win10, everything was alright for first couple of months, but the system started randomly crashing, without ''Driver stopped working'' thing, so I didn't even suspect Graphics Drivers, so I switched back and it continued...
    When I went back to win7, all the drivers were deleted, so I used IObit's Driver Booster to update them all.
    Also, whenever I delete current Nvidia driver computer works normally, but when I install, doesn't matter which one, it just crashes after some time, to some drivers it's longer, to some shorter, but it all eventually comes to that.
  3. Most likely it is time to replace your GPU. Maybe your PSU, but id start with the GPU.
  4. Honestly, it sounds like it's going to take you longer to determine the cause - than a clean install of your OS would take. That would be my suggestion. Back up your files and then format your drive/install the OS.

    Windows 10 create media:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

    Use the tool, create media. Boot from the USB (or DVD) and follow in the prompts. Skip when prompted for a key though - it'll activate when you're back online.


    Also, avoid using "driver boosters" etc. Download your drivers directly from the motherboard vendors site and nVidia.
  5. Barty1884 said:
    Honestly, it sounds like it's going to take you longer to determine the cause - than a clean install of your OS would take. That would be my suggestion. Back up your files and then format your drive/install the OS.

    Windows 10 create media:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

    Use the tool, create media. Boot from the USB (or DVD) and follow in the prompts. Skip when prompted for a key though - it'll activate when you're back online

    Also, avoid using "driver boosters" etc. Download your drivers directly from the motherboard vendors site and nVidia.


    Alright, I'm on it.
  6. vrumor said:
    Most likely it is time to replace your GPU. Maybe your PSU, but id start with the GPU.


    This seems a little extreme at this point. A clean OS will likely fix the issue if it's truly driver related.
    Not saying a failing GPU is completely unheard of, but it's a little early to jump to that conclusion IMO.


    Incidentally OP, what are your full system specs?
  7. Barty1884 said:
    vrumor said:
    Most likely it is time to replace your GPU. Maybe your PSU, but id start with the GPU.


    This seems a little extreme at this point. A clean OS will likely fix the issue if it's truly driver related.
    Not saying a failing GPU is completely unheard of, but it's a little early to jump to that conclusion IMO.


    Incidentally OP, what are your full system specs?


    Let's see...

    -Nvidia GTX 750
    -8 GB RAM
    -Win7 Ultimate (64-bit)
    - CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
    - AC 230V
  8. Is this a prebuilt? Motherboard? PSU Make/Model? Was the 8GB RAM purchased as a kit? (ie 2x4GB) or a single stick (1x8GB), or mixed brands/speeds?
  9. Barty1884 said:
    Is this a prebuilt? Motherboard? PSU Make/Model? Was the 8GB RAM purchased as a kit? (ie 2x4GB) or a single stick (1x8GB), or mixed brands/speeds?


    Oh, I forgot Motherboard,
    It's ASRock H61M-VS,
    I left my home 10 minutes ago so I cannot check PSU right now, I just know that i took the computer to service after the problem started and the guy changed it, so I doubt that it's the problem.

    At beginning, computer had 4GB RAM and GT 520 graphics card, I bought those parts later on and upgraded PC a little, It's been 3-4 years since that upgrade, now it has 2x4GB Ram sticks. same ones.
  10. Barty1884 said:
    Is this a prebuilt? Motherboard? PSU Make/Model? Was the 8GB RAM purchased as a kit? (ie 2x4GB) or a single stick (1x8GB), or mixed brands/speeds?


    UPDATE:

    Okay so I upgraded to win10 20minutes ago, most of the drivers were already there, don't know if it's win10 thing or it's taken from win7, since when i install win7 all the drivers are deleted, anyways, downloaded Nvidia driver and no problems so far, let's see how this goes.
  11. Best answer
    Windows will attempt to install the "best" drivers, but doesn't always get it right (or the latest ones). Still download and install the drivers from your MB vendors site: http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?Model=H61M-VS

    Not there are 4 variants of the board (VS, VSR2.0, VS3, VS4) so ensure you download drivers for the correct board.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia