Solved

BSOD and not booting/posting after removing GPU

Specs:

i5 Skylake 4ghz
XFX850watt Gold PSU
16GB RAM DDR4 2666
Gigabyte Gaming K3
R9 390
Win 10

I was running a crossfire set up with two 390's until I sold my primary card. I then moved the secondary card into the primary slot to make use of it's 16x speed.

When I booted it up today, everything worked as it should, expect a minute into booting while it was updating a game, I got the BSOD.

I powered the machine down, and tried to reboot. Everything whirred up as normal, but nothing displayed on the screen, waiting perhaps 15secs, the PC would then power itself down... 5 or so seconds later, boot itself back up and go through the same process unless I forced a power down.

Speaking to a friend they had something similar albeit they didn't do anything with the GPU, they removed the battery on the MB and put back in, and everything worked as it should thereafter.

Do you think this could be a driver issue? (I hadn't wiped/reinstalled the drivers while removing the GPU) or could it be something else?

Both GPU's worked fine before, and they're hardly used as I use the PC mainly for Lightroom and Photoshop.
32 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bsod booting posting removing gpu
  1. Whats the bsod error code? You can try a cmos reset by taking out the motherboard battery, wait for a minute and then insert it back in and then turn on your pc and see if it fixes things...
  2. I get no code at all.... it was literally just a blue screen.

    Each time thereafter it tries to boot I get no input on the screen, and cycles powering off/on.

    I'm back at work now so will try the CMOS reset as soon as I get back. I thought I'd ask in case there was anything glaringly obvious, or if there were any other quick checks worth trying

    Thanks :)
  3. If the above fix doesnt work, then the next thing to do is check the RAM, Try reseating the RAM again and try booting with one memory module. Check each ram and each slots to be sure. But i guess the cmos reset will fix things.
  4. Sohom said:
    If the above fix doesnt work, then the next thing to do is check the RAM, Try reseating the RAM again and try booting with one memory module. Check each ram and each slots to be sure. But i guess the cmos reset will fix things.


    Just tried resetting the CMOS and it worked... for a short while.

    Rebooted fine, got to the windows logo and then just hung. Forced power off, rebooted and back to square one.

    So I've taken out the GPU, and connected to display via HDMI to MB and reset CMOS again.

    See if this works now....
  5. Oh, and I've checked and reseated RAM too
  6. Still nothing :(

    I've not yet removed the cables from the PSU that once fed the second GPU... clutching at straws really here. It's modular so can unplug these at the PSU end.

    Checked CMOS
    Checked RAM
    Removed GPU and going via MB / integrated graphics

    Each time I get it to reboot after CMOS reset it freezes up. This time on the "gigabyte" logo where you would press Del to enter BIOS
  7. Decided to try CMOS and leaving RAM out a little while longer....

    She's now alive!!!!!!

    This is while GPU is out so shall DDU old drivers and install new. Reinstall GPU and fingers crossed she'll be back to normal
  8. ok, it seems to be a problem of the RAM now.... take the gpu of the motherboard and keep it seperate for now... just install one memory stick at the furthest most slot.... post the result here... i am waiting for your reply....
  9. And no, it has nothing to do with drivers... During post the motherboard checks the components and then proceed, it seems something is not right and so the pc isnt posting.... what is your processor?
  10. Before seeing your reply I'd managed to get on after CMOS / RAM reseat while the GPU was out the case.

    Everything booted as normal and so I ran DDU on my AMD drivers. Rebooted. Logged in again all was good.

    Put GPU back in just now and the same thing occurs.

    Seeing you reply now I'll take out the GPU and RAM and install one stick first.

    It's an i5 skylake 6600K 4ghz
  11. With 1x 8GB RAM in the furthest slot it boots up fine. No issues.
  12. quinncooper1988 said:
    Before seeing your reply I'd managed to get on after CMOS / RAM reseat while the GPU was out the case.

    Everything booted as normal and so I ran DDU on my AMD drivers. Rebooted. Logged in again all was good.

    Put GPU back in just now and the same thing occurs.

    Seeing you reply now I'll take out the GPU and RAM and install one stick first.

    It's an i5 skylake 6600K 4ghz


    OK, after logging into windows, do a prime95 test with everything on default for 10 mins and see if an error is there.
  13. With both sticks of RAM in it boots with no issues.

    Both these tests were with GPU out.

    I'll put GPU back in again see if I have a repeated issue. If so, I'd say it were GPU at fault would you?
  14. I'll do prime95 before installing GPU. Both RAM sticks are in
  15. I've done a 'blend' test

    Thanks a lot for your help and time with this :)

    I'll report back once the 10mins are up. So far so good with it
  16. Test ended, all come back saying no errors and no warnings
  17. Ok now, put the gpu in pcie 2nd slot and run... As it is a gigabyte board, i have my doubts.
  18. After running using the 2nd slot... Download passmark or 3dmark(its abig download) and test the gpu and report back... I think this is what happened, while taking out the first gpu, somehow the slot was damaged, maybe a bad pin. But i maybe wrong too...

    Edit: I want to do all the tests in a orderly fashion as to rule out each component... So each test is crucial to determining the issue....
  19. Installed in slot 2; which is where this GPU had been during crossfire.

    Nothing. No boot/post
  20. Ok, now it seems your gpu is to blame... ur psu is modular, so i expect you were provided with extra cables, so can you try a different cable connecting the graphics card to psu...
  21. From what I can see, the pins all look good in slot one. Can't see any visible damage or bending of any pins... what it's like the other side of the slot I couldn't say.
  22. I don't think I have extra cables, I'll check... although using the 2nd pice slot I've had to use the second lot of power cables. Due to cable management the set for PCIe one doesn't reach PCIe two

    So been tested with 2 sets
  23. I am really surprised that if your graphics card was faulty then how did your graphics performance was up to par with crossfire performances... Did you ever notice performance issues while in game, like issues generally with crossfire or sli?
  24. No extra cables. Got satas but no 6/8pin blocks
  25. quinncooper1988 said:
    No extra cables. Got satas but no 6/8pin blocks


    ok, no issues there as you tested with two cables... It seems your gpu is faulty but i still cant believe it that if the gpu was faulty how did you get the performance of crossfire... So, i guess the component causing the issue is confirmed... I do believe though that the gpu never was working and actually you were using a single gpu all this time... :)
  26. Crossfire had been stuttery for me on a lot of games. But I put this down to 1: its crossfire... 2: 2nd slot is only 4x speed.

    So thought it was generally normal in those circumstances.

    I've never had any crashes. Faults. Hardware detectors picked up the 2nd GPU (this one) fine every time and reported back fan speed/memory clock/usage etc etc

    Some games (not all). Usage during crossfire for the 2nd GPU only would often go 100%>0%>100%>0% and so on. While the first GPU was always around 97% ish.

    90% of the time since I've had crossfire I turned it off. Due to stutters and that one card was sufficient.

    Stuttering wasn't in all games though either. Titanfall 2 I think, seemed to run fine (unless there was no mgpu support for that and it ran in single GPU mode) but was getting crazy fps at the extreme presets.

    So never doubted the GPU didn't work, more crossfire didn't work how I expected
  27. quinncooper1988 said:
    Crossfire had been stuttery for me on a lot of games. But I put this down to 1: its crossfire... 2: 2nd slot is only 4x speed.

    So thought it was generally normal in those circumstances.

    I've never had any crashes. Faults. Hardware detectors picked up the 2nd GPU (this one) fine every time and reported back fan speed/memory clock/usage etc etc

    Some games (not all). Usage during crossfire for the 2nd GPU only would often go 100%>0%>100%>0% and so on. While the first GPU was always around 97% ish.

    90% of the time since I've had crossfire I turned it off. Due to stutters and that one card was sufficient.

    Stuttering wasn't in all games though either. Titanfall 2 I think, seemed to run fine (unless there was no mgpu support for that and it ran in single GPU mode) but was getting crazy fps at the extreme presets.

    So never doubted the GPU didn't work, more crossfire didn't work how I expected

    Ok, that explains it. because in titanfall 2, crossfire performance was stuttery but not when using sli. I actually dislike the idea of sli or crossfire except for ethereum or bitcoin mining rigs.... Hope you have warranty on the graphics card left... My advice would be always go for single good gpu than dual gpu's...
  28. Thanks a lot for all your help Sohom! Really appreciate it :)

    I'm hoping I've got warranty left on it too now. Definitely won't be looking into mgpu again. as say for most part id turned off the second GPU either stutters or lack of support.

    See what they'll do about this whether repair or send a new unit out and perhaps look at going for a 1080 or vega depending how that pans out (have freesync)
  29. quinncooper1988 said:
    Thanks a lot for all your help Sohom! Really appreciate it :)

    I'm hoping I've got warranty left on it too now. Definitely won't be looking into mgpu again. as say for most part id turned off the second GPU either stutters or lack of support.

    See what they'll do about this whether repair or send a new unit out and perhaps look at going for a 1080 or vega depending how that pans out (have freesync)

    Glad that i could help... Hope everything turns out good... Dont go with 1080 if you have a 1080p or a 1440p display, rather go for 1070 because thats the sweet spot; You can obviously wait for vega or get a 1080ti, if you are planning for 4k but then also they struggle with 4k...
  30. I'm running 1440 and no plans of going 4K. Thanks for the tip on the 1070, save me a few ££'s
  31. So... some further info and confusion.

    I got an Nvidia GPU off my mate that's a known working card. Plugged that into PCIe slot 1 and it did NOT work. Exact same issues as my card.

    Tried slot 2 and the same.

    Tried on NO GPU using integrated and booted up fine.

    Plugged my GPU into slot 1 and his GPU into slot two, connected the display into my slot 1 GPU. And it worked. As normal.


    So somehow my GPU works but ONLY with two GPU's present on the motherboard. Despite them being one AMD and one Nvidia so aren't compatible by any stretch. And somehow it works.

    When only one GPU plugged into slot one. Nothing works.

    Checked BIOS and couldn't see anything obvious that I needed to change.

    So I'm rather baffled to be honest.


    Anyone come across this before, suggestions?

    Thanks
  32. Best answer
    Seems I've got it working now.

    Just doing a furmark GPU stress test and all looking good.

    Hadn't done anything in particular, only this time reseated GPU in PCIe 1 but did not connect the power cables. Started up fine. Powered down and connected power cables restarted and it booted up, which I was t expecting.

    Installed drivers and running furmark. Can only suggest it wasn't seated properly or a loose connection. How, I don't know as they'd been taken in and out many times and pushed in hard to make sure. But. Only logically explanation
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i5 RAM Gigabyte DDR4 GPUs Blue Screen