i7-7700 Core Temps

Grabino

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
I recently built a PC with these specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Grabino/saved/74sD3C

I restarted playing the Witcher 3 and I received a BSOD and noticed that my PC CPU fan was running pretty hard. I then proceeded to check temps and, while doing nothing, it averages at 40c-47c. From there, when I play the Witcher for (say an hour) and check the temps, my core temp was at 89c and had peaked at 95c, which I know is well beyond standard, even under a heavy load.

I consulted one of my buddies and he mentioned that the i7-7700, so long as you don't attempt to OC it, doesn't require anything beyond a stock cooler. He then told me to reapply thermal paste and try again. I used TG-7 Thermaltake, did the whole "pea" shaped in the middle and attempted the load again the next day.

Same results.

Before I determine that I need an aftermarket cooler, I want to hear thoughts in the community. Also, if you have any recommendations, for an aftermarket cooler.

(Note: While I am typing this, my temps dropped down to 42c from the 89c it was 35 minutes ago when I was playing the Witcher again.

Thanks all.

I'd be surprised if a stock 7700 was 'heat overwhelmed' with a typical gaming burden, but, I suppose it could happen if ambients were warm, a stock Intel cooler from a lesser processor was used, airflow in/out of case was bad, too much thermal compound used, a very warm GPU is used, or a combination of above... etc....

Hi.

The 7700k do run hot thanks to intels choice to use thermal grease and not solder between the die and heatspreader.
Get something like the 212evo or cryorig ( just make sure you can fit it in the case )

Even with an aftermarket cooler your cpu will run hot.
Mine did even on a custom water cooled loop, so I delided the cpu, swapped out the crappy paste intel uses to liquid metal and now I sit at avg. 54 celcius when I do a toture test on it for 1 hour on all cores at 5GHz 24/7

If you want lower temps on that cpu you need to delid sadly... Same goes for the 6700k and the new i9 cpu`s... intel does not learn it seems.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
It might be an airflow issue its not the k version so it shouldnt run as Hot as unlocked do but i would check bios version before buying an aftermarket Cooler early bios were feeding more voltaje than the cpu needed causing temporada issues.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
You sure the cooler is securely attached? those push pins can be awkward , especially when re attaching. I agree in theory the stock cooler should be fine.
Make sure you slide the white bit all the way down on the central black pin before installing.

I have a 6700K, mildly overclocked to 4.4 at stock voltages using a recycled hyper 212 evo I already had. It games in the 50-65c range and stress tests in the high 60s or low 70s depending on room temperature so my feeling is a cheap tower cooler like the 212 evo or similar should be overkill at stock settings.

Well it all depends when using the Intel OEM cooler that comes with the i7 7700.

If the case has good airflow and the room isn't too hot.

Noticed what your case is, I suppose you are running 2x 120mm fans that came with the case.

While the OEM cooler will keep it functional under normal use, you may want to add another fan in the case and upgrade to a better cooler. The Noctua NH U12S would be a nice cooler for your system, powerful, but won't break the bank.

Grabino

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
I ended up getting a guy to look at it and he said the setup should be fine. He thinks, however, that there could be an issue with the lid of the CPU. I think I might end up RMAing it since these temps are ridiculously high. Ugh, Newegg RMA.....