RX 480 hot and consuming a lot of power when idle

DarioX_Novakov

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
My RX480 8GB PowerColor Red Dragon is idling at 66 degrees C and consuming ~29W when idle, the fans do not spin when the card is below 50 C but this never happens, i only found out that that happens when i set the fans to 100% and it got to 50 and stopped the fans, i remedied this issue by undervolting it but it's still 50+ C and ~24W, this does not seem normal to me, and also the memory speed never drops and always runs at full speed.

It also depends how good the case cooling is.

As for monitors, it's not just how many but the number of pixels (resolution) and the refresh rate (Hz). For example, a 2560x1440 144Hz monitor stresses a graphics card a lot more than a 1920x1080 60Hz monitor.

Right, that's useful information.
So you have more than one screen so it's more demanding on your GPU thus the temperature goes up.

I don't see anything to worry about. So the fans spin. So what? I'd put the graphics card back to get the most performance out of it. To summarize I'd:

1. shut down and remove GTX750Ti
2. run DDU to cleanup drivers (in case any confusion with NVidia + AMD)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html (use "recommended" option for SAFE MODE cleanup)

3. reinstall AMD video drivers
4. put RX-480 back to default or OC setting

OTHER:
If you have a CPU with integrated graphics you can also consider running the 720p monitor from that if it's only used for simple (non-gaming) tasks. You can also consider using the GTX750Ti as well, but frankly I'd stick with just the RX-480 unless there's a fan noise issue or loss of performance.

Anything you do on the 2nd screen will cost some FPS in GPU-bottleneck scenarios. You can TEST how much this is by finding a repeatable situation in game, with repeatable content on the 720p screen then run with and without the 2nd screen functioning.

DarioX_Novakov

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

http://imgur.com/a/VkW92 this is how it should be (GPU-Z didn't read the temp, voltage, and clock speed correctly)
http://imgur.com/a/9Zz4l this is how it is
the problem is that i can force it to idle properly with afterburner by enabling unofficial overclocking with powerplay support but then it stays like that until i restart my PC, i can't put in the GTX750Ti i only have one PCIe 16X slot and my MB only has VGA not HDMI that i need (i undervolted it and put a custom fan curve but both didn't want to go away so i just screenshot this, the fan was at 1100RPM) notice the 9.7W power consumption

I still don't understand what the "problem" is.

The card should be fairly quiet (500RPM fan speed) in idle, so why can't you just leave things as they were?

I still think it's the second monitor that increases the load enough that there's no fan off option. As I said you could test with only one monitor to see what happens.

This shouldn't affect gaming much (just depends what you put on the 2nd monitor in terms of GPU processing), and the fans should ramp up as needed.

DarioX_Novakov

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

The problem is that is is not functioning properly, it for some reason stays in 3D clocks all the time and runs at 55-60C with the fans at 1100 RPM which is audible, but when i use Afterburner and enable unofficial overclocking with powerplay support it goes to safe mode which is 2D clocks and then it uses 10W and idles at 35 with 0RPM with both screens connected, but when under load while like this it does not go to 3D clocks.

DarioX_Novakov

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

It's on balanced, this setting seems to have no effect in on my pc, nothing changes no matter what i set it to

DarioX_Novakov

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Well none of this matters anymore, it died and the store where i got it from won't RMA it or anything else because it "Passes all tests" while i can't do anything with it because it crashes within seconds even on stock settings