i7-4770 stock fan with i7-7700k?

redxiii81

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I'm in the middle of a build now and my cpu fan is yet to arrive. I've got an intel stock fan from my i7-4770. Will this tide me over until my cpu fan arrives on Monday?

Solution
Yes. Just dont run cpu stress tests, and if you have a table fan you can point at the cooler you are even more safe. But you will be able to cool it more than enough to start it up, go on the web etc without any problems. Just monitor your temps.

Heck I used an old cpu cooler for an 2600k and it was not even mounted to the motherboard since the holes did not align correct. So I just cut the 4 legs off and wola :D I just did hold it down on the cpu. Worked like a charm to test and fiddle around alittle :D

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
check that the connections are compatible(I don't know if they are). In terms of tdp dissipation, the copper slug cooler will handle it, just make sure you monitor your temps. Clean the old TIM, apply fresh TIM. Simple Simon.

Yes. Just dont run cpu stress tests, and if you have a table fan you can point at the cooler you are even more safe. But you will be able to cool it more than enough to start it up, go on the web etc without any problems. Just monitor your temps.

Heck I used an old cpu cooler for an 2600k and it was not even mounted to the motherboard since the holes did not align correct. So I just cut the 4 legs off and wola :D I just did hold it down on the cpu. Worked like a charm to test and fiddle around alittle :D

Solution

The 4770's cooler is not designed to keep a 7700k series cpu cool. I do not recommend you use it.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
If we look at the TDPs of the 2 chips(4770 and the 7700k) they are 84 and 91 watts respectively. That means the 7700ks TDP is 12% higher. Is that a great percentage?
Like it's been stated, use fresh TIM(after cleaning old), make sure the pegs for the cooler line up on the mobo, and use a good monitoring program(I use CoreTemp myself). Lastly, but not least, if everything installs correctly, the worst that will happen, is the cpu will throttle a little. Don't do heavy duty stuff, don't benchmark, and don't Overclock, and you'll be fine.