8350 Bottlenecks 1060 HELP

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hi Ive overclocked my gpu to get 4600mhz on the memory and ranging around 2088 - 2126 on the clock and when I'm playing Grand Theft Auto V on NVidia optimised settings I'm only getting around 30 - 50 fps ive also checked my graphics usage when driving is mostly in the 60s but cpu usage isn't maxed out that's in the 60s-70s so what is wrong please can someone provide me with some tips

Solution
FX 8350 can vary in clock speed from 4.5 GHz to 5.0 GHz - it just depends on how good the silicon in your chip is, as well as the motherboard and cooling setup. I think the max voltage is around 1.55 V, but bear in mind that if temps are too high at a particular voltage, then you should really drop the voltage lower. Don't let temps go over 62C, and see what GHz you can hit with that. Stress test with Prime95.

So, a max voltage of 1.55, and a max frequency of 5.0 GHz, probably lower.

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Hi my GPU usage is in the 60s but I cant see it being a bottleneck since CPU usage on task manager is at 60-70!

60-70% on an 8 core fx would be normal because its estimated from all 8 cores.

GTA v uses 4 or 5 cores max at any major point .

What you're suffering from is the fairly low IPC of the fx chips

30fps is low though even for an fx 8350 , I'd expect minimums of mid 40s at worst.

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Hi I thought this since I checked benchmarks and they were way higher then what I was getting i have advanced graphics on and most settings are very high with msaa on 2x
any ideas?

CPU usage is rarely indicative of CPU bottlenecking - GPU usage indicates both CPU and GPU bottlenecking. If usage is around 97-100%, then the GPU is the bottleneck, which is ideal in games, but if the usage is lower than that, then the CPU is the bottleneck. If your GPU usage is in the 60s, it accounts for heavy CPU bottlenecking, and, like I said, you'll either have to OC your CPU or get a more powerful one.

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Hi it would be hard for me to overclock due to the power phase on the msi 970a Krait edition and ive had no lucky i barely made it to 4.5 almost on 1.5v! ive used oc genie provided by msi and it only put me to 4.2 would getting to a higher clock speed improve MUCH?

Firstly, OC using the BIOS, and also try increasing the CPU fan speed if you can. And yes, overclocking will reduce the bottleneck, though it may not entirely eliminate it.

Drop your in game resolution to 720p for 10 minutes & see if it improves fps at all.

GPU usage isn't always a clear indicator IMO

At 4.2ghz you shouldnt be seeing less than 45fps IMO , you may have some of the graphics settings turned up too high.

Are you absolutely sure that GPU isn't throttling or dropping clocks at some point?

As per above , may also be due to CPU throttling.

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Hi i doubt my cpu is throttling since my temps while playing this are in the 50s MAX and don't dare to get anywhere near 60s and for my gpu its at a solid 2088 - 2126mhz and temps are 50-s60s

I would, although I prefer MSI Afterburner. As you have said the power phase is weak on your motherboard and its fairly common for 125w CPU's to throttle if the motherboard VRM's overheat.

However check out that review I linked, you would expect your performance to be under the 9590 and even that cpu has drops to 30 fps as its minimum.

I think you have graphics settings too high personally.
On the GPU front
Grass above normal halves fps
Msaa can lose you 25% of fps

On the CPU front
Population density if a mass fps killer as is extended distance scaling.

@sizzling - that was a release date test though , the game has become much better optimised since then.
Even the 4790k on there was showing minimums as low as 37fps.

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

How would i check vrm temps auxillary gets quite hot while gaming if that counts 60-70c

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

I took off all the settings mentioned and now I'm at a solid 50fps will these settings make much difference to the eye?

^ no , fxaa is nearly as good IMO
Try frame scaling to 1.5x which renders at a higher resolution - you may get away with aa completely disabled then

Also forget one , set shadow quality to normal - that's a mass CPU killer too & the difference between normal & high aesthetically is minimal IMO

The nvidia auto settings really do an awful job on most titles.

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Hi Matt I'm still debating to overclock what is the max voltage I can go on my cpu in bios since I am quite worried but willing if an increase in performance. also what ghz should I aim for

FX 8350 can vary in clock speed from 4.5 GHz to 5.0 GHz - it just depends on how good the silicon in your chip is, as well as the motherboard and cooling setup. I think the max voltage is around 1.55 V, but bear in mind that if temps are too high at a particular voltage, then you should really drop the voltage lower. Don't let temps go over 62C, and see what GHz you can hit with that. Stress test with Prime95.

So, a max voltage of 1.55, and a max frequency of 5.0 GHz, probably lower.

Solution