2017 07 30 Best Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed258

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I used ESET smart security for few years and it had bad things like if it scanning or updating hang almost entire system, otherwise HDD was fully loaded, then friend advised to use bitdefender used from 2015-2017 few years and it has quite good performance, but update stopped everything, since my bitdefender subscription now over thinking what should i take now, any recommendations?

Solution
Unfortunately, there is no telling what the best anti-virus software is. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Considering the ratings are slightly varying from month to month, it would be hard to establish the best one.

Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well. The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job. As for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable. But in all honesty, if you do have windows, Windows Defender is your best option, since it doesn’t use that much additional resources, while third party antivirus solutions might...

^^Horrible advice. Windows Defender is a basic level defense and is constantly being challenged by virus hackers. Third party free AV programs like from Avast are more effective. You also need a separate anti-malware program. Norton and Kaspersky are at the top of my list. Both are easy on hardware consumption (for years Norton used to be a resource hog but they cleaned it up). I have a freeware version of Avast on an old laptop and it works fine as well along with SpyBot.

nvincent_08

Reputable

i said daily usage tho, if you play safe with original or trusted softwares and files

The only 100% sure measure of being "safe" is to not get on the internet. I assume that's not an option for him. Hackers attack trusted websites all the time and imbed viruses in advertisement scripts.

Speed258

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Hmm first time i heard about comodo, what about ESET these days did they improve or still sluggish AV?
P.S. Windows defender is only if you dont use internet like offline pc, this is my opinion.
P.S.S. not very nice review about comodo: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474735,00.asp
P.S.S anyone used Total AV seems has nice review performance and security https://www.top10bestantivirus.com/reviews/totalav

And if someone told you that Defender had a 100% detection rate in recent comparison testing last month, your reaction would beeeeeee.....

Retraction? :)

Many routers (at least using my Linksys WRT1900AC as a guide, anyway) do *not* default to typical DHCP required by most folks for internet connection like you think they would; defaulting to PPPoE, a non-functional condition for most folks, seems almost archaic to me...

JoshRoss

Notable
Jul 11, 2017
Unfortunately, there is no telling what the best anti-virus software is. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Considering the ratings are slightly varying from month to month, it would be hard to establish the best one.

Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well. The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job. As for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable. But in all honesty, if you do have windows, Windows Defender is your best option, since it doesn’t use that much additional resources, while third party antivirus solutions might.

With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the popular software solutions will be solid as well. My recommendations towards ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, I used them all, they did the job. Something to be aware, Malwarebytes paid version provides full suite including Anti-virus and Anti-malware. If you are going for a paid version, you won't need anti-virus solution.

For in browser solution, you could use an Adblocker to protect you from malicious ads, uBlock takes this one for me.

But when it comes to the internet, no software will protect you 100%. My tip would be to be aware of what you are browsing and downloading. Do not click suspicious links, avoid shady files. Additionally, be careful with emails, a lot of malware is spread through fake/malicious emails. That is the best way of being safe out there. Good luck!

Solution

nvincent_08

Reputable

for sure even with 'antivirus' it is also wont be 100%. based on my experience i only get like 2 virus for the last 5 years using 2 pc protected only with windows defender, and those were from download and not causing any kind of serious risk. people experience and thoughts different tho, people experience and usage vary, so the chance someone getting virus attack is different

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS