i7 7700 100% CPU usage streaming basic games at Veryfast @x264 what's going on?

Cavasi

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I have a 7700 at stock speeds, paired with 16GB of RAM, a 850w EVGA PSU, a EVGA GTX 1070,
msi Z270 gaming pro mobo. Basically, I am hitting 100% CPU usage in OBS Streaming at a 720p60 stream at 4k bitrate to my Twitch channel, and I feel like my CPU is broken or something.

My VCore is at 1.12V

My motherboard did ship with bent pins, but I pushed them all back and aligned them back to normal, and my PC never has any random power failures or anything. What is going on?

Solution

I know plenty who say it works fine on i7 4C/8T too but I also know of a fairly large vocal group who like me think 6C/12T is the minimum you should be using. There will always be "camps" some of which comes down...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Nope this is to be expected. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMGOq_PbVQ

Quad cores are on their way out for gaming. 4C/8T Intel/Ryzen CPUs are entry level gaming at the moment IMHO. 4C/4T Intel/Ryzen CPUs are bare bones gaming like 2C/4T was before them. Many games now use 8+ threads like The witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Division, GTA V...and some use 16+ like Watch Dogs 2, BF1, Ghost Recon Wildlands. Honestly on new build i recommend 6C/12T for mainstream gaming and 8C/16T for high end mainstream gaming. If you game stream you want more cores/threads ideally 8C/16T or more but 6C/12T does work well enough for now.

Cavasi

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

So this is normal that I am reaching 100% while streaming?

This seems odd, I just bought this CPU in like March. And I know 7700ks (which is my CPU with an unlocked multiplier), do those get 100% usage? I feel like this still shouldn't be happening.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
i7 7700K is the best gaming CPU ATM but the second you add streaming to the game you need more cores and threads to keep up. This is why for years now game streamers have been buying intels HEDT chips with either 6C/12T or 8C/16T. 4C/8T was always considered entry level streaming and 4C/4T was considered bare bones game streaming. Sorry you feel like this shouldn't be happening but this market has been like this for a while.

Are you taking about running H264 while gaming ? Running h264 all by its lonesome pegs all 8 of my cores to 100%. As for gaming, I have tested this extensively (Witcher 3) by using the affinity control in Task Manager and recording fps using 1 - 8 cores.... going from 1-2, substantial improvement ... going to 3, a bit more but not as big of a step up.... going to 4 the variances where too small to be statistically significant.

Cavasi

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

There are so many streamers I know that don't stream with HEDT and they seem to be fine

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

I know plenty who say it works fine on i7 4C/8T too but I also know of a fairly large vocal group who like me think 6C/12T is the minimum you should be using. There will always be "camps" some of which comes down to which games being streamed but your CPU usage is the telling factor. 100% usage, you bottlenecked no question. You either need to lower stream settings, deal with what you have or upgrade. Crappy I know but you asked for advice. I have been been building/repairing PCs for over 20 years. I am not just making this stuff up. It is why included that video to make a point.

Solution