Is 120-124 degrees Farenheit too hot for an idling CPU?

Speedstang

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
My CPU is an Intel Core i3 3220. I don't know much about what the correct temperature should be, but this seems too high.

EDIT: I meant to post this on the CPU category, I misclicked, sorry.

Solution
48degC is 120degF.

It's warmer than I would normally expect, though it depends on:
a) cooler used
b) fan profile
c) case cooling
d) ambient room temperature
e) how OLD the CPU cooler is (may need thermal paste replaced)

The main issue would be if you're constantly going over 80degC as that can wear out the CPU. If that's an issue, or if the fan is just a bit noisy then consider going to PCPARTPICKER and look for something like the CM Hyper 212 EVO, Cryorig H7 or similar.

And use the MOTHERBOARD fan software (motherboard site) to optimize the fan profile.

48degC is 120degF.

It's warmer than I would normally expect, though it depends on:
a) cooler used
b) fan profile
c) case cooling
d) ambient room temperature
e) how OLD the CPU cooler is (may need thermal paste replaced)

The main issue would be if you're constantly going over 80degC as that can wear out the CPU. If that's an issue, or if the fan is just a bit noisy then consider going to PCPARTPICKER and look for something like the CM Hyper 212 EVO, Cryorig H7 or similar.

And use the MOTHERBOARD fan software (motherboard site) to optimize the fan profile.

Solution
OTHER:
Also be sure the temperature value is correct. http://windowsreport.com/software-cpu-temperature/

HWMonitor is possibly the best, and it's the CORE TEMP "MAX" value you use to see what it's spiking too. You should have two cores, just use the hottest one.

Some software may report the PACKAGE temp which may be 5degC or so higher, or even a MOTHERBOARD sensor that's near the CPU.