~$600: building vs. buying prebuilt and upgrading

MountainDrew329

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I am looking to spend about $600 on a system that can play most recent games like GTA V, PUBG, and others at medium-high settings and 60fps which I've heard is possible.

My current system is a Lenovo ideacentre k410 that I upgraded a few years ago:

Pentium g645 2.9ghz
8gb hyperX ddr3-1600mhz ram
Radeon hd 7770 ghz edition

What I want to know is, is it cheaper to buy a prebuilt pc with a good processor and add a GPU or start from scratch and build?

I've been looking for deals on towers on Best Buy and other sites and this has tempted me:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refurbished-pavilion-desktop-intel-core-i5-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-r7-450-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-twinkle-black/5901221.p?skuId=5901221

With an i5-7400 and 16GB of ddr4 ram it seems like it would be a good candidate to add a low profile 1050ti so altogether this would cost ~$625 before tax.

I tried putting together a build of parts on pcpartpicker with the same specs and by the time i added all the required components (especially the OS) it ended up being significantly more expensive.

I haven't built a pc before but I have bought prebuilt and done upgrades so I guess that is what I'm more familiar with. Am I right to believe buying prebuilt and adding a GPU is the wiser choice?

I'm not really looking to spend more than ~$625 since I'm planning on buying a nice laptop for college in the next couple years.

MountainDrew329

Honorable
May 28, 2013

That's a good point you make about reliability on the other parts. That Ryzen build looks pretty nice, the only thing is when I add Windows 10 that brings me up close to $700 which is kinda more than I'd like to spend.

I would enjoy building from scratch as it would give me some experience and I'm interested in going to college for Computer Engineering (HS junior this year). Is it possible to make a slightly cheaper build and still give me what I need? Or will I have to sacrifice 16gb of ram, etc. ?