Rx 480 4gb nitro crashing on not stressful games

Riggermarole

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Ive had an rx 480 nitro 4gb for about half a year now, and it was fine up until around 3 months ago when it started to crash on games ranging from Heroes of the storm dead by daylight friday the 13th (as you can see not very stressful games) it comes up with fatal error and crashes my game or just goes complete black screen and my pc needs to be manually reset. Ive tried so many things and the problem still persists.

Checked RAM and hard drive both fine
Fresh install of windows no difference
Changed power supply no difference
Changed all my wattman settings to what i saw was recommended to someone else worked for 2 days and back to the same problem
Reinstalled drivers with DDU no difference
Im getting down to the point of replacing the card because im sure its faulty or something but any help would be great my specs are

my specs:
gpu:Rx480
CPU:intel i5 6400 2.7GHz quad core
Mobo:ASrockh110 m-dgs
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2400C15D-8GVR 8 GB (4 GBx2) DDR4 2400 MHz C15 1.2 V
PSU:
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W
Hard drive:Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive

Solution
Right.. you need to recover some money so you're selling off your current, pretty-good system and building a new system.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever.

As I said you can just TEST without the RX-480 to see if the rest of the system works. You'll spend a lot more money now building a system that's similarly specced and even more if you want better.

And what's the plan with the RX-480 now? Throw it in the garbage? Why not attempt the RMA and if it works just use it in the same system without spending a lot more money for no reason.
It's probably the Graphics Card, but here's some tests:

1) swap to another PC if possible to see if it crashes

2) MAY be the PSU (I doubt it) but swap out PSU if you have a spare one.

3) if you have a SPARE HDD or SSD (at least 60GB) then unhook all other storage drives then do a clean install of Windows 10 (install NVidia drivers etc) in case it's some software issue.

4) Can UNDERCLOCK the card. Try clocking down both GPU and VRAM to 80% of default. If that works then consider raising it to the highest stable point. If you don't lose much performance I'd just keep it.

Riggermarole

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Its not possible to swap it with another pc, i already changed the psu to a new one 3 days ago, i dont have an extra ssd and i already underclocked

Riggermarole

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
im thinking about stripping the computer down and selling all the parts and buying the 1060 amd dont seem to be up to letting people know when their product is faulty

Selling off your parts on a good system doesn't make a lot of sense. I would RMA the card, then if it still doesn't work consider replacing with a different card.

You can test your system without the graphics card using the iGPU in the CPU. Obviously gaming will be limited but some light gaming while you wait for RMA, and I doubt it's the problem but you can run Unigine Valley, Intel CPU diagnostic, Memtest86 etc to confirm the core system works (again without the RX-480).

And the main problem is probably Sapphire. AMD just provides the chip and makes the drivers. It appears to be something on the card aside from the GPU itself since other companies have better RX-480 cards.

Riggermarole

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

no im selling it to get abit of money back ive spent so much trying to get this system to work so im just going to switch to a 1060 in a new system this ones cost way more than i intended to pay last year

Right.. you need to recover some money so you're selling off your current, pretty-good system and building a new system.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever.

As I said you can just TEST without the RX-480 to see if the rest of the system works. You'll spend a lot more money now building a system that's similarly specced and even more if you want better.

And what's the plan with the RX-480 now? Throw it in the garbage? Why not attempt the RMA and if it works just use it in the same system without spending a lot more money for no reason.

Solution