2015/16/17 graphics cards compatible with old hardware

RoidoRidori

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Hello, i live in a country that doesn't really feature much choice when it comes to graphics cards i can get new (and used is dangerous). It is a country that is also mighty impoverished and anything upwards to 150$ is likely to be at least 70% of a paycheck, and just so happens to be the price of any decent low-end G-Card on the market. Me spending any kind of money on tech that won't work would be disastrous, so, i ask, which 2015/16/17 graphics cards are notable for their compatibility with older hardware/ legacy bios/ older motherboards/ older CPU.

When i say old, i mean 2011, since that's how old my BIOS is.

If any info is needed, please ask :).

Solution
Any of the 9xx(maxwell) and 10xx(pascal) cards are going to be UEFI cards. The 750 and 750ti(first of the maxwell cards) will also be UEFI cards, the rest of the 7xx series will be legacy. AMD cards will be a mixed bag since many gpus have just been relabeled for a few generations so you'll need to look at the cards specs to see if it supports a legacy bios.

RoidoRidori

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

I wanted to, of course, but i've been told numerous times that "no, it won't work with your bios, it won't work with your motherboard" on this site and on other sites. Also, the 1050ti costs around 220$ in my country, while the non ti version costs 190$. Yeah.What about the RX series cards? RX460, RX550, R7 360, etc.? Each are around 150$ in my country. Thanks in advance :).

bignastyid

Titan

Not true, many newer gpus require a UEFI compatible bios. Many older retail boards require a simple bios update to work with these cards. Many of the OEM boards(HP being one of the big ones) that were out EOL never received these updates so they simply work work with these types of gpus.

bignastyid

Titan
My bad, guess that's what I get for using HPs search engine.
Upon further research a UEFI card is unlikely to work as HP never released a bios that supported them on their older platforms. That card also has to be a low profile card. Some GPU manufactures did use a switch on some cards between UEFI and legacy modes but haven't seen that on any of the current gen cards. So unfortunately I think you might be out of luck.

RoidoRidori

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

No need for a low-profile card as it's not a small factor PC, it's a Microtower PC that has quite a bit of headroom for non-low profile cards. Lastly, i'd like to ask: would a card like the gt 1030 work? I run a GT710 evga 2gb edition on it without problem, so is that an indication of anything?

bignastyid

Titan
Any of the 9xx(maxwell) and 10xx(pascal) cards are going to be UEFI cards. The 750 and 750ti(first of the maxwell cards) will also be UEFI cards, the rest of the 7xx series will be legacy. AMD cards will be a mixed bag since many gpus have just been relabeled for a few generations so you'll need to look at the cards specs to see if it supports a legacy bios.

Solution