970 gtx DOES support 10 Bit

quaglinoman

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
I had been looking and many posts were from 2015 and most 2017 threads said no. Just passing this along for others, the 970 GTX DOES support 10-bit output. I think many did not have a true 10bit monitor or driver issue or even maybe the wrong speed cable.

I made sure I have a 1.2 DisplayPort Cable to start. Updated to latest driver. And the Monitor has been fantastic and a bargain at $320 on Amazon.

BenQ PD2700Q....it is a 2k, but plenty for me, as I do game at times as well I was worried about 12ms response time...I can officially say for ME, response time is marketing BS, unless you are pro gaming, no need and 12ms felt no diff than my previous 5ms when playing a FPS still smooth at 60FPS. 60FPS for me is plenty for gaming and I get the ability to use 1 Billion colors now when editing and also Rec 709 when needed. Hope this info helps others. Many said you need 1060 and up cards for 10bit.

MSI 970 GTX 4GB
tqVYTJQ.jpg

Solution
10 bit support in directx goes back to the 200 series but opengl still hasn't changed. They handicap it on purpose and what you can select in ncp doesn't change the driver capabilities.

How does the speed at which a pixel change color change if a frame gets refreshed in the middle of another frame? It doesn't and response time only affects ghosting. Some monitors have different processing than others and you get different signal processing times. You see this in input lag tests although we don't get info on what it's doing. Over the many monitors I have used/tested, there seemed to be no correlation in known specs about how it would process frames. I've had monitors not tear regardless and other tear whenever they get a chance.
From what I can tell, your "10-bit" per color support may be 1) possible through Direct3D, which is different from OpenGL 10-bit used in professional applications, and 2) most possibly 8-bit with frame limitation. In other words, I highly doubt a GTX 970 is capable of 10-bit output.

Also, the perceivable difference of response time is screen tearing; the lower the less. I have a 1ms monitor and I don't need V-Sync to solve the tearing trouble.

10 bit support in directx goes back to the 200 series but opengl still hasn't changed. They handicap it on purpose and what you can select in ncp doesn't change the driver capabilities.

How does the speed at which a pixel change color change if a frame gets refreshed in the middle of another frame? It doesn't and response time only affects ghosting. Some monitors have different processing than others and you get different signal processing times. You see this in input lag tests although we don't get info on what it's doing. Over the many monitors I have used/tested, there seemed to be no correlation in known specs about how it would process frames. I've had monitors not tear regardless and other tear whenever they get a chance.

Solution