FX-9370...overheating under 25% load...

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Hey TH,

I recently posted in the PSU section because I thought my PSU was dying. I brought my PC to a friends house, switched out PSU's and the same issues occurred (PC shutting off under little stress). With his PSU, I opened up a stress test (OCCT) and ran the CPU test. I watched temps go from 48C idle to 85C and then it shut off. I am assuming that my CPU is the culprit of my computer dying...

If I run my computer on maximum power saving mode, it works ok (but with 20-30fps in games...ugh)

What I have done so far:

- Reseated thermal paste
- Increased air flow into water cooler fans
- Swapped out the PSU

What could be my next step? Is it the CPU just shitty? Do I need more power than a 750w PSU? Could it also be my motherboard?

My current set up: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BJKcD8

CPU AMD - FX-9370
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard Asus - Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory Kingston - HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Power Supply Corsair - Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

thirtyben

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
Did you make sure that the fluid is flowing? I also have FX-9370 and it runs really hot so I got the H80i V2. When I first got my cooling hooked up, I found that the fans were running but the pump wasn't, so cool fluid wasn't getting to the CPU. So maybe your radiator and/or pump isn't working?

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017

I agree, it is most likely pump failure. I've personally seen a corsair H80i v2 keep a FX-9590 cpu under 60c while running prime 95

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
How would I know that it is failing? One tube is hot, one is cold so I think it is working fine.i also have the settings on high (fans and pump).

There are two fans fyi

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017

Find out where the pump header is plugged into the motherboard. If the pump is plugged into the CPU header, see if it shows any RPMs in the BIOS or other monitoring tools.

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Accoridng to Corsair Link, 1900 RPM. 3000 RPM when I turn on performance mode

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Unfortunately, i don't think its the cooler! RPMs are fine and pump seems fine too

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017

This is interesting. It really should not be overheating with that pump. And since you've already re-applied thermal paste, which would have reseated the cooler, I am out of ideas. Unless the cooler is not mounted properly, I can not think of any more reasons that would cause that.

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017

Thats the point, send the hot liquid up one tube and send the cooled liquid down the other. If one tube is hot, it must be pumping liquid up it, otherwise both would be cold.

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Yeah...one would have to be cold and one hot to take the heat away. I'm not a computing expert but basic common sense tells me that's correct.

Currently need to put on max power saving mode to make my pc actually work... if the cooler isn't he problem, it seems like my CPU just could be faulty because it instantly overheats. Goes from 30C to 70C in about 5 seconds.

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I am probably going to apply for the AMD warranty on my CPU and just assume that it is faulty. It has been 2 years since I bought it and it has a 3 year warranty. Thanks for your help guys!

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

That's true too. Just how would I figure out if that is the issue? One tube is definintely cooler than the other. One is warm to the touch

jeffredo

Distinguished
Do you have access to an air cooler you can test it with (a decent one with a 120mm fan)? I'd try that just to make sure. The FX-9370 isn't clocked that high so it would most likely be fine for a short time for testing purposes. Run a game for a few minutes and check the temps. If they stay around the high 50s and low 60s with no shut down its your water cooler going out. If it still skyrockets and shuts down its most likely the processor failing.

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

I do not have an air cooler...but I definitely think it is the liquid cooler. One pipe is cold, one is hot. I have gone through countless pages and it seems that the cold pipe is clogged and isn't able to rotate the liquid around.

7sixes

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

I think you are right, sir! I have looked in other threads and it seems that the pipes should be basically the same temp. One of the pipes is definitely clogged.

thanks for your help!

The way the water works in a liquid cooler is not as a coolant but as the material to transfer heat. When cycling it aroudn it can more effectivly pick up heat and release it on the cooler rad. Normally both pipes are about the same temp (the return will be a bit colder but not by much).