Solved

Possible to upgrade or should I build new PC?

My desktops been fine for all the years I've had it but obviously it's becoming slow now.

Case:
Lenovo H530 [Is a small case, so there's problem #1]

GPU:
NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti [The low profile ver, only one that would fit. Problem #2]

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6 GHz (8 CPUs)

RAM:
Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 2x 8GB 1866MHz Black HX318C10FBK2/16 Memory Ram

Motherboard:
This one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-H530s-Desktop-Motherboard-s1150-H81H3-LM-CIH81M-90002569-5B20G05108-/222185396443

PSU:
Corsair 600w PSU [Didn't actually fit in case so it basically sits behind it with the wires feeding through the back of the case]

The problem is I'm pretty sure this desktop is already at it's absolute maximum specs, I've already upgraded the GPU, RAM and PSU from what they were originally... Do I have any options or should I just save up to build a new one?
Reply to Tom_129
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade build
  1. Save for a new one.
    Reply to Gahl1k
  2. Tom_129 said:
    My desktops been fine for all the years I've had it but obviously it's becoming slow now.

    Case:
    Lenovo H530 [Is a small case, so there's problem #1]

    GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti [The low profile ver, only one that would fit. Problem #2]

    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6 GHz (8 CPUs)

    RAM:
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 2x 8GB 1866MHz Black HX318C10FBK2/16 Memory Ram

    Motherboard:
    This one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-H530s-Desktop-Motherboard-s1150-H81H3-LM-CIH81M-90002569-5B20G05108-/222185396443

    PSU:
    Corsair 600w PSU [Didn't actually fit in case so it basically sits behind it with the wires feeding through the back of the case]

    The problem is I'm pretty sure this desktop is already at it's absolute maximum specs, I've already upgraded the GPU, RAM and PSU from what they were originally... Do I have any options or should I just save up to build a new one?




    The best upgrade you'd be able to get would be a 1050ti low profile. The 1050ti is not a bad card for 1080p@60fps. This is something to consider as this upgrade is about $150-$170 rather than building a whole new system, which would be close to $800-$1000 to get better performance than the upgrade.
    Reply to Hardware Brad
  3. Tom_129 said:
    My desktops been fine for all the years I've had it but obviously it's becoming slow now.
    How exactly is it slow? Doing what?
    If it's gaming performance, you're concerned about, then just upgrade graphics card.

    Also you could get an SSD (if you don't have it already) and maybe a new pc case.
    Reply to SkyNetRising
  4. Tom_129 said:
    My desktops been fine for all the years I've had it but obviously it's becoming slow now.

    Case:
    Lenovo H530 [Is a small case, so there's problem #1]

    GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti [The low profile ver, only one that would fit. Problem #2]

    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6 GHz (8 CPUs)

    RAM:
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 2x 8GB 1866MHz Black HX318C10FBK2/16 Memory Ram

    Motherboard:
    This one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-H530s-Desktop-Motherboard-s1150-H81H3-LM-CIH81M-90002569-5B20G05108-/222185396443

    PSU:
    Corsair 600w PSU [Didn't actually fit in case so it basically sits behind it with the wires feeding through the back of the case]

    The problem is I'm pretty sure this desktop is already at it's absolute maximum specs, I've already upgraded the GPU, RAM and PSU from what they were originally... Do I have any options or should I just save up to build a new one?




    the specs are still good

    all you need is a decent gpu


    get yourself a new case and transfer everything into it, along with a decent gpu like a gtx 1060


    get one of these, toss the old power supply

    https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-Lenovo/dp/B00WE5KSFQ
    Reply to maxalge
  5. ^ Agreed. Tom_129 I love the fractal design cases. Define R5 if you're using HDD, and Define S if you're using SSD. Personally I prefer the models that do not have windows. With an i7-4790 and 16 GB of RAM, I would not start over and build new. Just one thing: If you opt of the GTX 1060, try to step up to the 6GB variant:

    * EVGA b-stock (factory recertified) GTX 1060 6GB
    https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1060+6GB

    * new GTX 1060 6GB
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204814%20601205646%20600358543%208000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=96
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%2050001402%204814%20601205646%20600358543%208000
    Reply to rcald2000
  6. Really liking the looks of the Fractal Design Focus, very good case for its price. But regardless of opinions on taste, a new case is somewhat of a priority. Being Lenovo, it's probably a mATX micro tower, and uses a proprietary psu. As you found out when upgrading, the 20+4 doesn't fit, has to be adapted to a 14pin. So what you need is a mATX or ATX tower, and they'll all fit your psu, most in the bottom, so airflow is better. Being a full sized case, you'll also be able to move up to a standard gpu without restrictions on size. This'll free you up to use a 1050ti, 1060 or better class of gpu. I have an R5, it's almost the size of a full tower, way more case than needed, but I love the looks anyways, and it does everything I need it to do.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  7. Yes I had to buy that adapter when I originally started to upgrade this.

    I had a lot of accumulated Curry's PC World vouchers, so I decided to buy the system from there with the hopes of upgrading it, obviously it was a decent price and already had quite a good CPU to begin with being the i7 4790. I was able to buy the system for around £450 with the discounts.

    The original specs were:
    Intel Core i7 - 4790 @3.60 GHz
    Nvidia GT 720 GPU
    Standard 2x 4GB Samsung RAM
    Original PSU 180w

    Obviously it's much better now that it was, GT 720 sucks lol, but if I get a new case... I don't know if the motherboard would actually fit because of it's small size - or are all MB's typically universally similar in dimensions?
    Reply to Tom_129
  8. Tom_129 said:
    Yes I had to buy that adapter when I originally started to upgrade this.

    I had a lot of accumulated Curry's PC World vouchers, so I decided to buy the system from there with the hopes of upgrading it, obviously it was a decent price and already had quite a good CPU to begin with being the i7 4790. I was able to buy the system for around £450 with the discounts.

    The original specs were:
    Intel Core i7 - 4790 @3.60 GHz
    Nvidia GT 720 GPU
    Standard 2x 4GB Samsung RAM
    Original PSU 180w

    Obviously it's much better now that it was, GT 720 sucks lol, but if I get a new case... I don't know if the motherboard would actually fit because of it's small size - or are all MB's typically universally similar in dimensions?



    that particular one is a micro atx thankfully, so just buy a mid tower case that says it can handle micro atx mobos
    Reply to maxalge
  9. New case, ssd, new GPU.

    Your motherboard is kind of poor & a lack of sata ports is a deficit .

    You can always drop a PCI express add-on card in if you need more


    Your CPU should still be a rock solid performer.
    Reply to madmatt30
  10. Best answer
    Nice idea on the case, but, it's an mITX tower. That's a motherboard smaller than what you have, so that particular case won't fit your board. What you'll need are mATX, ATX or Full towers or any cube type of those. With all the components you have, a full tower is a huge waste of space (and money, they run $100+ usually) so try and stick with either mATX or ATX mid-towers. These happen to also have the widest variety.

    Mobo is a choice. The gpu will be fine on it, and you have a locked cpu with the i7-4790, so you don't need an over-priced Z overclocking board. This'll leave honest choices in the H and B class mobo's, but unless you have a pressing need for expansion of things like more Sata drives, then your current board will be easily able to support what you have. Most pc's only use 3x Sata anyways, an optical, a ssd and a hdd. If you need more, the lower grade boards and most mATX have just 4 Sata, you'd need a full ATX mobo to get 6. You also have options with the pcie x1 ports instead, I use pcie x1 for extra usb3 ports in a 12-1 card reader. You can use pcie x1 for add-in wifi cards etc. So do you need a new mobo? Not really, that H81 is sufficient, question is, do you want! a new board.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB iChill Video Card (£249.92 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£71.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £321.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-15 03:28 BST+0100
    Reply to Karadjgne
  11. Karadjgne said:
    Nice idea on the case, but, it's an mITX tower. That's a motherboard smaller than what you have, so that particular case won't fit your board. What you'll need are mATX, ATX or Full towers or any cube type of those. With all the components you have, a full tower is a huge waste of space (and money, they run $100+ usually) so try and stick with either mATX or ATX mid-towers. These happen to also have the widest variety.

    Mobo is a choice. The gpu will be fine on it, and you have a locked cpu with the i7-4790, so you don't need an over-priced Z overclocking board. This'll leave honest choices in the H and B class mobo's, but unless you have a pressing need for expansion of things like more Sata drives, then your current board will be easily able to support what you have. Most pc's only use 3x Sata anyways, an optical, a ssd and a hdd. If you need more, the lower grade boards and most mATX have just 4 Sata, you'd need a full ATX mobo to get 6. You also have options with the pcie x1 ports instead, I use pcie x1 for extra usb3 ports in a 12-1 card reader. You can use pcie x1 for add-in wifi cards etc. So do you need a new mobo? Not really, that H81 is sufficient, question is, do you want! a new board.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB iChill Video Card (£249.92 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£71.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £321.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-15 03:28 BST+0100


    Thanks for the idea! If I keep my motherboard, is it a problem that it's PCI e 2.0, not 3.0? I know 3.0 cards are compatible with 2.0 but do you get a performance drop? Or does it not really matter?
    Reply to Tom_129
  12. A gtx1080 would be hard pressed to fill up the bandwidth of pcie 2.0 x8, (single gpu will use x16, sli/cf 2x gpus will use x8/x8) never mind x16, so no, there's effectively no difference. AMD was running pcie 2.0 all the way up till the recently released AM4 platform.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  13. Oops I know it's a little late but I just realised a typo on the OP:

    Case is a Lenovo H530s NOT Lenovo H530... I don't think that'll change anything but thought it's probably worth updating.
    Reply to Tom_129
  14. Ahh, actually it might have earlier, the H530s is the 'slim' design, so more than likely had an SFX/TFX proprietary psu, which would easily explain why the current psu won't fit, the SFX/TFX can be longer but skinnier than a standard ATX. But the solution is still valid, new case.

    So, no worries. It's all good.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  15. Okay so I ended up buying tge Fractal Design Define S case and I'm currently (attempting) to install the motherboard. The problem is that it seems Lenovo went a little out of their way to make the board ridiculously specific to the Lenovo H530s. There seems to be cables that it's asking me to connect to the board which I dont know if the board has. Similarly the case uses 3 pin connectors for the fans but my board has 4 pin connecters labelled "F fan".
    Reply to Tom_129
  16. 3 pin fans will fit in the 4pin slots, they'll take either. Except for the cpu_fan which must be 4pin pwm.

    A common occurrence when moving a proprietary mobo to a universal case. I'm assuming you are talking about the case front cables. You'll have to look at the pinout details on the mobo (really small print) down by the very bottom right corner, and match them up with the cables coming from the front of the case (power ±, pwr led±, hdd led± etc). The other front cable will be the audio jack's, that'll stretch to right above the psu at the very bottom, one will be HD (digital) the other will be AC'97 or some such. (analog). Being a Lenovo board you may or may not need a 20pin to 14pin adapter for the psu main power, and the 4+4pin (probably only 4pin) eps will go in the top left side of the cpu.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  17. Take a photo of the front panel connector on the board (black socket bottom right) as close up & as in focus as you can.
    Reply to madmatt30
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Cases Desktops Lenovo Build