Solved

1080 TI 11GB PCIe 8x only 8GB/s

Hi,

If I had 2x 1080TI with a 16 PCIe lane CPU,they will have to be 8x/8x right? Now i got really curious about 8x only transfering 8GB/s and the 1080TI having 11GB. Tell me please if that is going to be a thing and if I would only be able to use 8GB out of each card.
Thx in advance
Reply to Nuno_5
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1080 11gb pcie 8gb
  1. Transfer speed and RAM are different. It depends on what you're using the cards for. Gaming in SLI, there will only be 11GB of VRAM available regardless. IF you are using them for rendering and running them non-SLI then each will have 11GB of ram available.
    Reply to getochkn
  2. You'll be fine with that's I have 2 1080 Ti's with 16 PCIE lanes. The speed and vram amounts are 2 different things.
    Reply to Adamw0611
  3. getochkn said:
    Transfer speed and RAM are different. It depends on what you're using the cards for. Gaming in SLI, there will only be 11GB of VRAM available regardless. IF you are using them for rendering and running them non-SLI then each will have 11GB of ram available.

Ok got it but you said one thing that got me curious. If the VRAM doesnt double, then what happens when youre using SLI? I know the power never doubles but if VRAM doesnt stack than happens?
    Reply to Nuno_5
  4. The VRam is mirrored in SLI. no matter how many cards you had 2, 3 or 4, you will always have the ram of 1 card.
    Reply to Adamw0611
  5. And what does"mirrored VRAM" meen? How does that give me more performance and what happens actually? Would it be best to run then in non SLI mode or will it just use the upper GPU for gaming?thx
    Reply to Nuno_5
  6. Mirrored means 1 card with 8 GB , add 2nd card, still have 8 GB of video RAM....
    Reply to mdd1963
  7. mdd1963 said:
    Mirrored means 1 card with 8 GB , add 2nd card, still have 8 GB of video RAM....

Then what does that even mean if it just adds up and do nothing
    Reply to Nuno_5
  8. Best answer
    It will load the same stuf into the memory on both cards, for example if your game uses 2GB Vram, it will use 2 GB on each card... the Benefit comes from both GPUS doing the processing. Besides there is nothing in gaming you would use 22GB of vram for... as I've said I have 2 1080Ti's running 4k ultra in most games, and i seldomly go over 8GB used.
    Reply to Adamw0611
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

CPUs