Solved

dual i9 vs dual xeon for video editing computer

I am about to invest serious money (around 7k) for me in a new video editing build. Can I save money by using a dual intel i9 setup or should I eat the price and use a dual xeon configuration within the 7k budget?
Reply to jlang04
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual dual xeon video editing computer
  1. I9 CPUs don't have the required hardware for dual socket use. You will have to use an E5-2xxx CPU or one of the new Xeon Scalable CPUs.
    Reply to kanewolf
  2. kanewolf said:
    I9 CPUs don't have the required hardware for dual socket use. You will have to use an E5-2xxx CPU or one of the new Xeon Scalable CPUs.

    Thanks, I was told certain intel i7's would work together, so I assumed certain i9's would.
    Reply to jlang04
  3. jlang04 said:
    kanewolf said:
    I9 CPUs don't have the required hardware for dual socket use. You will have to use an E5-2xxx CPU or one of the new Xeon Scalable CPUs.

    Thanks, I was told certain intel i7's would work together, so I assumed certain i9's would.



    You were told wrong. The i3/i5/i7 series only work in single CPU configs. As previously mentioned, you need Xeons for that. Even then, not all Xeons can support multi-CPU configs.

    Good luck with the video editing build. What software applications do you intend to use?
    Reply to COLGeek
  4. Best answer
    For video editing, the new Xeon Scalable (the successor to the E5-2xxx V4) has a lot more memory bandwidth than the previous generations. For video editing, that should be important. The new Scalable Xeons -- http://ark.intel.com/products/series/125191/Intel-Xeon-Scalable-Processors are all dual socket compatible.
    Reply to kanewolf
  5. COLGeek said:
    jlang04 said:
    kanewolf said:
    I9 CPUs don't have the required hardware for dual socket use. You will have to use an E5-2xxx CPU or one of the new Xeon Scalable CPUs.

    Thanks, I was told certain intel i7's would work together, so I assumed certain i9's would.

    I'm a big fan of Vegas, very easy, intuitive, and lots of 3rd party software for it. I am currently working with Audition and just got Premiere Cs5. So I have some time before I get "dangerous" with Cs5.

    You were told wrong. The i3/i5/i7 series only work in single CPU configs. As previously mentioned, you need Xeons for that. Even then, not all Xeons can support multi-CPU configs.

    Good luck with the video editing build. What software applications do you intend to use?
    Reply to jlang04
Ask a new question Answer