1000 MB Google Fiber - but terrible online stream quality

barnettbc

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I recently set up a top of the line Desktop (SLI with 2 GTX 1080s, I7-7700k cpu, asus prime 270 motherboard, etc..) and have it hooked up to a '55 inch LG OLED with 4k (C6P). I have an HDMI 2.0 cable hooked up, along with Ethernet cables going from the pc to a google fiber 1000 Mb (confirmed with test).

Also OS is Windows 10 (64 bit)

Besides top end pc gaming, I was assuming I could get top of the line 4K streaming from various online apps, especially sports from various (watchespn, nbc sports online, maybe fubo.tv) locations. However, despite having an Ethernet cable hooked up providing ~950 mbps (confirmed with tests) and a top end pc hooked up to a top end tv with the correct cables, I still can't seem to get anywhere near at least a true 1080p resolution on my stream. Everything is out of focus, blurry and reminds me of the sports broadcasts on TV prior to the HD TV days.

Anybody have any idea what this may be due to and how to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
And try another known working HDMI cable and swap out other "correct cables" with known working cables. Ensure that the cables fully meet the required spec's. I.e., beyond "compatible with...."

Double check all of the configuration settings.

Does the TV have any problems when used by itself or with another audio/video source other than your Desktop?

Start simple with a low resolution that has a clear image. Work upwards until the problem occurs. That may provide some clue or additional information that will identify the source of blurriness.

barnettbc

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
Hey guys, I've tried everything regarding swapping cables to other 4k capable cables and all of them provided the same poor quality on most of my sports video streaming (from very reliable providers like ESPN and NBC as well).

I have however tried out gaming and watching a 4k movie on my 4k player, and both of those modalities worked like a charm and provided me incredibly sharp, detailed resolution at 60 fps. However, streaming online videos still provides me resolutions more comparable to pre-480p days.

Also note: I have a gigabit compatible Ethernet board (Network card), I have done the google fiber speed test 20+ times with near 1 gigabit speeds for upload and download every time. I have also tried going into the advanced setting on the network card and downgrading from 1 Giga to 100 MB and that still didn't work. I still continue to get terrible streaming quality.

The only thing that I have checked that seems strange to me, is that while streaming on full screen a sports game with the usual blurry quality online, when I go to task manager and Network details and Ethernet to check throughput, it shows me a graph of the Ethernet Throughput on my network card that never seems to go above 54 Mbps.... why would it not be using more if at the current levels I seem to be having trouble getting the HD quality streaming that the app I'm watching it on claims to have?

You really should not have a issue with such a large connection. There are a couple sites that measure the jitter. 54mbits is fine for 4k the data is extremely compressed in most cases. I think netflix recommend 25m for 4k streams.

The main difference between streaming movies and live content is the time it takes to do good compression. A movie can be compressed offline and the quality optimized because it really doesn't matter if take a extra second here and there because you will not see it. Live video though is compressed closer to real time. There are generally delay buffers to try to hide the spikes in compression time. Fast moving and changing screens like in sports are the hardest to compress. The trade off being if you put a buffer in that is say causes a 1 minute delay you get better quality video than if you tried a 10second delay.

It almost has to be the application causing this but I don't know since I do not watch sports. I know you see this problem from time to time in video conference calls where you can have almost no delay. There you see pixelation or jumps.

Maybe try some live content that is not sports and see if it is better. Not sure what sites to suggest. Twitch or youtube has live stream content but I don't know think any of it is at 4k.

CSKid

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Did you search for key combination to change resolution in those online platforms? Like in Netflix Ctrl+ Shift+ S open's a menu to change audio and resolution. Never used the ones you mention as I don't see sports so the thing I just said wouldn't make any sense if there is a button to manually change the resolution :D

barnettbc

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I haven't been able to find a shortcut to a resolution change as you have mentioned, however one of the apps allows a manual change between: Low quality, medium quality, high quality... and whenever I switch between each of those I see absolutely no difference in quality, it is terrible quality no matter what :)

I am almost to the point where I am thinking about switching from google fiber to AT&T or Cox just so I can get the sports Television channels (google has too small of an offering)... plus the 1000 Mbps seems to be real superfluous in relation to the main goal of my setting up a fast connection *** streaming live sports television and cutting the cord in the process. Looks like either a.) I found a real con to cutting the cord if you want high resolution live sports (surprised I haven't heard more about this though) or b.) I have some networking/hardware issues that are stopping me from streaming at my actual capacity, which would make me very sad to find out after abandoning google fiber and going back to the scummy cable companies.

And to point out, I have streamed some truly beautiful 4k sports on youtube(I'm guessing they compressed it before hand though?) however the live sports streaming continues to be at an unspeakably poor quality.

CSKid

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Before switching ISP take your pc to a friend house and try it :$ if it's working then switch from Google if it's not... Cry and take the pc to an expert :$ GL.