Gt 1030 for 14 amps 450w cheap psu.

Devil_

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Hi
My friend is buying a new graphics card he doesn't wants to buy a high end gtx 750 or 1050 as they will require a better psu. He needs a backwards compatible gpu for his ancient pc
I want to know if he can use gt 1030 on these specs
Pentium e5700 (he will upgrade to q9400 as they are cheap on ebay)
Gt610 (which died and is given for repairing i doubt if this thing will happen to his new gt 1030)
2gb ddr2 ram (will upgrade to 4gb)
WD 500 gb sata hdd
Zeb g31 motherboard
And finally
Odessey 450w psu with 14 ampere on +12v rail
Please tell me if this psu is ok to run gt 1030 without overclocking coz i didn't find any website which is claiming the exact amperage for it everywhere is written minimum of 300w.

Devil_

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
What do you want to say r7 240 is way behind the gt 1030 in performance and power consumption 1030 uses approximately half the power of r7s. So whats worth upgrading to a low end and older power hungry card.?

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
What does Eximo means is that newer nvidia graphics do have compatibility issues with older PC. The PC you are mentioning is a LGA 775, which are about 10 years old. The r7 240 is older so there are higher chances that they could pair without issues.

Devil_

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
But i have seen several people running gtx 750 ti in other 775 g31 motherboards plus everyone knows that every graphics card work if a pcie slot and sufficient power is given.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

A 750ti isn't a new GPU either. And yes, newer nvidia cards *do* sometimes run into compability issues with older PCs. What you say "everybody knows" is simply not true. If you don't want people to answer your questions, don't ask them.

I wouldn't even do any of this with that junk PSU. It's not even a junky 450W, with 14 A on the +12V rail, it's for all intents and purposes a junky 168W PSU when it was new. And now it's a decade old.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX750Ti represents the oldest retail form of Maxwell. GT1030 is a Pascal card. Pascal lacks analog outputs among other things. If you peruse the forums of Dell, Lenovo, and others you will see people with older machines complaining that the newer cards don't work in their systems. I must say I see few issues with cards like the RX550.

This is mostly the fault of the OEM vendors, as they don't often provide updates to the BIOS of their platforms. If you have a motherboard directly from one of the manufacturers, ie a boxed product, then it is more likely that it will work.

I'm not saying that you can't try it, but be prepared for it to not work correctly. There are also the issues of driver versions. There will come a time when the OS and graphics driver won't be compatible at the same time. I think this is already true of Nvidia cards from the 7000 series or so, and they are relegated to an older driver and must use Windows 7.

Devil_

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Please tell me if he should buy gtx 750 or rx 550 or 1050 mini if he increases his budget he will upgrade to q9400. Will the corsair vs450 psu ok to run any of these? Will there be bottleneck? How much if he plays cpu intensive games such as gta 5?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The posters here aren't your personal customer service. You're all over the place with your questions, it would be best to hear things directly from your friend rather than the constantly changing second-hand we get from you.

Announcing your departure is a fairly lame threat; you're the one who came here for help, not vice-versa.