When will i3-8100 i3-8350K Coffee Lake come out?

unikinqay

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Is there any date when Intel will begin to ship these CPUs? I've seen Intel's flyer announcing presentation of 8th gen CPUs on 21th of August, but will Coffee Lake chips actually launch soon after it or it is just a teaser for not buying Ryzen right now?

Solution
Typically they are referring to the 'Winter' holiday season for North America and Europe (Western countries) Most major religions have a festive season near the Winter solstice. Primarily Christmas and Hanukah and others that encourage gift giving at that time.

I'd say on a normal year you would see new laptop models with the latest CPUs, but if they can get desktop SKUs out there for the holiday season I imagine that will put a serious decision on to the people that were looking at Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7. An 8700k makes a pretty good argument for core count and single threaded performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say, a lot of conflicting info out there. A press release doesn't mean a retail release. Original guesstimates put it around February 2018 for retail release. But if Intel wants to push it forward to compete with Ryzen 5 sales that would make some sense.

Usually you see ultrabook processors before desktop, but this time we have a SKU list and a new chipset announced already. We'll see in a week I suppose.

I was excited about it, but since they are saying a new chipset for the new chips, eh, I'll just hold out for a few more generations.

unikinqay

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
This was in Intel's press release: "Start planning for what new 8th Gen Intel Core processor-based device to purchase in the holiday season and even before."

When is the holiday season in US? We're in the middle of summer holiday season here in EU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typically they are referring to the 'Winter' holiday season for North America and Europe (Western countries) Most major religions have a festive season near the Winter solstice. Primarily Christmas and Hanukah and others that encourage gift giving at that time.

I'd say on a normal year you would see new laptop models with the latest CPUs, but if they can get desktop SKUs out there for the holiday season I imagine that will put a serious decision on to the people that were looking at Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7. An 8700k makes a pretty good argument for core count and single threaded performance.

Solution
Latest rumor is that availability in time for Christmas.

By now, we should have had leaks on Z370 motherboards from major players.
That could mean a delay, or it could mean that current Z270 motherboards will work in some fashion with a bios update.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think there have been a few posts that it won't work without a 300 series board, even though the socket is the same. Likely be able to put Skylake and Kabylake into the 300 series at least.

Some of the more technical posts mentioned power delivery as being questionable when going up to six cores, so Intel might restrict it avoid people cooking their VRMs.

I believe it was a tweet from ASRock in direct response to a question on one of their boards that is the current best info.

Apparently a recent tweet by the account of motherboard manufacturer AsRock (which has since been deleted) stated that 8th-gen desktop chips would require a new generation of motherboards.
Does this mean that the tweet was wrong or misleading?
Or was it simply a slapdown on the poster?

When kaby lake was first announced, there was also confusion as to if Z170 motherboards would support kaby lake. The answer was no. But, that meant that the number of pcie lanes available would not be what kaby lake was capable of and that optane support would be missing.
The net result was that with a bios update, Z170 motherboards ran kaby lake very well.

It would be in the interest of Intel to see that gen 8 processors ran on Z270.
That way, more gen 8 processors would be sold.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've not been able to track down the original posting, but there are also people saying there are were engineering samples for Coffeelake running on off the shelf Z270 boards. It could be something stupid like the i3 quad cores running on the older boards and requiring Z370 for the 6 core CPUs though. A few references to LGA1151-V2 floating around, but all seemingly from a single WCCFTech article.

If Intel is nice and leaves it up to the board vendors to offer support, that would be cool. I will definitely pick up an 8700k (even though I don't really need it) and build another machine around the 7700k just for funs. Probably Mini-ITX, but not if I have to get a Z370 board.

I know the board vendors went out of their way to support Windows 7 builds for Kabylake, hosting compatible graphics drivers and such.

Cromwell__

Prominent
May 31, 2017

We're run by Evangelicals so they mean Christmas time when they say that. Although often the USA holiday season starts late November with Thanksgiving, since the day after is "Black Friday" where we celebrate unfettered capitalism.