GT 730 on a 240WPSU - HP Compaq Elite 8000 SFF

wasimdoesgames

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I was wondering if the GT 730 is compatible with the HP Compaq Elite 8000 SFF. After doing research online, I discovered that the sff version has a 240w psu. I was wondering if it'd work in the pc as I haven't seen any thread related to the gt730 being compatible with the HP Compaq Elite 8000 SFF. And also, is the GTX 750 Ti or the R7 250 1GB GDDR5 compatible with this build? I'm only looking to play games such as Minecraft, CSGO and Overwatch,

Specs:
Intel E8400 CPU
2GB Ram (Upgraded to 4)
Hewlett Packard 3646h motherboard
250gb hdd
240w psu
windows 7 professional.

Solution
Given the E8400 only has a TDP of 65W, I'd guess that even the 750Ti (60W) or R7 250 (65W) would be safe on it, though, if you can get the detailed specs of how many amps is on the 12V rail(s) specifically, it'll be easier to provide a definite answer.

The GT 730 will definitely be no problem, given that it's anywhere from 23W to 49W, depending on which version you have - The 64-bit GDDR5 is the best one to get if you can find it.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications

Until recently, I was using an R7 250E (55W) on a Pentium G3220 system (54W) with a 220W Dell Power supply. However, that Power Supply indicated that it could provide 216W on the 12V rail... as noted by the fact that it said the 12V...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Given the E8400 only has a TDP of 65W, I'd guess that even the 750Ti (60W) or R7 250 (65W) would be safe on it, though, if you can get the detailed specs of how many amps is on the 12V rail(s) specifically, it'll be easier to provide a definite answer.

The GT 730 will definitely be no problem, given that it's anywhere from 23W to 49W, depending on which version you have - The 64-bit GDDR5 is the best one to get if you can find it.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications

Until recently, I was using an R7 250E (55W) on a Pentium G3220 system (54W) with a 220W Dell Power supply. However, that Power Supply indicated that it could provide 216W on the 12V rail... as noted by the fact that it said the 12V rail could have up to 18Amps.

Solution

wasimdoesgames

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if a standard GTX 750 Ti would work in this build or not due to the fact that its an sff pc and i'm seeing that low profile cards may be needed.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127932&ignorebbr=1
Would something like this work in my build?
I know it isnt the most powerful card however I only look to do light gaming such as Minecraft, CSGO and Overwatch at 720p Resolution at decent settings and for general usage like watching videos in 4k60fps, etc. Unless there is a better value card than the 710lp which offers same performance. My budget is roughly £50 for a somewhat decent graphics card. Used GTX 750 Ti's sell for around this price so i was wondering if the 750 would fit in my case or would i have to get a low profile card.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137139&cm_re=gt_1030_lp-_-14-137-139-_-Product
Would this card work better? I know the 750 offers more performance for the same price however this card is low profile and the tdp usage is low from what ive seen in reviews.

Sorry one last question.
After watching benchmarks on youtube of these cards, most people seem to be running the GT730 2gb in their 8000 sff fine so is the lp even neccessary?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hard to say - of the two, I would strongly prefer the GT 1030, as it would perform way better than the 710. However, being a new card, your old HP might not work with it, as Nvidia's newer cards seem to have a tendency to only work with UEFI systems, and not play nice with older Legacy BIOS systems (this is secondhand information for me, though, not through personal experience)

I have an HP slimline as well, and, while it does need low profile, the location allows for the cooler to be a little taller. My Dell 3647 Inspiron Small Desktop, though, puts the PCIe slot all the way at the edge, so the cooler/fan MUST fit within single-slot height. Because of this, I couldn't use a 750 or 750Ti in the Dell. There are regular profile and low profile 750/750Ti cards, but they all have a cooler that extends past single slot in total height, even of the end plate itself is only single slot.

Are you limited to single slot height for the cooling solution as well in your system? I did a quick search, and it SEEMS like a low profile card with a slightly taller cooler would work, but not being 100% sure on my search results, you'd have to look directly in your case.

Any which way, from what I understand, performance from maximum to minimum is 750Ti > 1030 > 730 > 710.

Here's an example of a 750Ti low profile . . note that the fans and shroud give it some extra height. I think it would fit in your system, but would not fit in my Dell.
http://www.overclock.net/products/msi-geforce-gtx-750-ti-low-profile/reviews/7291

However, it seems the 750Ti prices are a little ridiculous given that they're older cards. You may be able to find a good used deal somewhere.

If you can find a GT 730 with the GDDR5 memory, that would be the way to go in your budget. I want to recommend the 1030 instead of the 730, but I just don't know for certain if it'll work in an older system like yours. Older Dells are notoriously fussy about it, but I don't know about HP.