jim1010

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Hi everyone

I have an old rig I've had for about five years now - specs as follows:

Ivy bridge 3550
ASUS H77-M
Radeon Sapphire 7850 OC
Thermaltake toughpower PSU (550W I think)

Probably 18 months - 2 years ago, I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10

The issue I have had for at least a 12 month period now is that while my graphics cards appear to be working when I boot my computer (e.g. fans are running), upon running games my FPS drops to 0 and/or the application freezes, usually forcing me to restart the computer. I have tried the following:

-Reinstalling the graphics drivers
-Reinstalling chipset drivers
-Swapping over the GPU to another card (another 7850) - this gives me the same problem

A while ago my previous motherboard stopped working suddenly, and I swapped over to the current ASUS H77-M (I kept the same other parts). Since I've done this my windows refuses to recognise I am using the same computer, and asks me to register the version of windows - I've lost the CD key and so cannot do this. Not sure if this could be causing my problems.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks

Solution
When you change motherboards, you ARE using a different computer, that is all that really matters. The case, hard drive, etc.. are just things that are built around the motherboard.

Did you check to make sure you setup the system properly when you changed the motherboard if that is when the issue started? Heatsink on properly, system is clean? It may be a power supply issue, maybe your cards are bad. Have you tested your video card in another system? Did this second card you try come from a good working system? Is there a low power card you can test or try the system without a video card with just onboard video.
When you change motherboards, you ARE using a different computer, that is all that really matters. The case, hard drive, etc.. are just things that are built around the motherboard.

Did you check to make sure you setup the system properly when you changed the motherboard if that is when the issue started? Heatsink on properly, system is clean? It may be a power supply issue, maybe your cards are bad. Have you tested your video card in another system? Did this second card you try come from a good working system? Is there a low power card you can test or try the system without a video card with just onboard video.

Solution