7870 XT fan not spinning properly

ovidiutaralesca

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hello!
I have a Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 XT with BOOST graphics card, the one with Tahiti LE chip.
I recently noticed that only one fan is spinning on idle, the one closer to the power connection, opposed to the ports. As a strange fact, the other fan starts spinning only when the fan speed reaches 80%.
I did a lot of research on the subject and I can't find an exact answer. Is this how it's supposed to work or is this an issue?
My temps are: Idle - 32C, Full Load - 65C. Never overclocked it, but I use a custom curve for the fan speed. The speed percent is equal to the temperature + 10C.

Solution
They sell replacement fans for that model on ebay, otherwise you can try putting some oil in the fan that's not spinning anymore. Definitely not normal for only 1 fan to be spinning on that card, 2 fans should be spinning at all times
They sell replacement fans for that model on ebay, otherwise you can try putting some oil in the fan that's not spinning anymore. Definitely not normal for only 1 fan to be spinning on that card, 2 fans should be spinning at all times

Solution