i5 4670/Mobo creating harsh buzzing noise while rendering

XpL0iT

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Hello there,

So whenever I put my system under heavy load, like rendering which causes the problem consistently.
My CPU just makes this harsh buzzing noise, review in media below:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFcW727MFk&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Just from almost pressing my head against my mobo i'm pretty sure it's that which produces the sound since I've replaced my GPU already and the sound is consistently produced when I render to any hard drive.

Using HWmonitor i've observed that the sound originates when my i5 4670 with stock cooler reaches a staggering 90°C!
I this sound a known problem? Should I be worried for my PC possibly "exploding?!" Is there a fix?
Or should i just buy a new one since this one is long overdue?

Solution
It's not across the board, as your system temps show one near 80 (presumably the temp sensor near the cpu) and the other one is in 40s.
As for the sound, if it's not the mounting, you can still check the fan. If you..hmm. If you only use the psu (unplug the rest of the components) and plug your cpu fan into it directly via a molex adapter (if you've got one), see if it's spinning and if you can hear the noise still.
Your cpu does show at 100% usage so it might be why you're having high temps though I'd still get a different cooler.
Yes your cooler will work on i7-7700k though that cpu tends to run a little hot so I'd actually get one of the higher performance coolers for it, if you're going air. Take a look at this list...

Sedivy

Estimable
It sounds like you need to re-mount your cpu cooler (might be loose and vibrating a bit when the fan spins or your fan's ball bearing is shot) and replace the thermal paste. 90C is too high. If that doesn't help, maybe a third party cooler might help, something like Hyper 212 EVO that won't break your wallet. What are the rest of your temperatures like in HWMonitor?

XpL0iT

Reputable
May 7, 2014

Remounting the cooler and applying new thermal paste didn't have any effect. I still get the noise whenever my CPU reaches temperatures around 85°C.

As for the rest of my temperatures, this is what it looks like while rendering;
3811835bf545329150dff8d9d2be4dd8

https://gyazo.com/3811835bf545329150dff8d9d2be4dd8
I dont know if that's an high temperature across the board or just my CPU skyrocketing.

If I'm going to invest in a new cooler I don't think it'll be really worth the money since i was thinking about getting a 7700K later this year and my i5 4670 was pretty much being fried for 4 years straight. though if i buy a new cpu i need to get a new mobo, and if i get a new mobo from this age i'll probably also have to replace my DDR3 Ram with DDR4, so that's going to be quite pricey.

Does the Hyper 212 EVO fit on both the i5 4670 and a i7 7700K? And is the temperature difference large in comparison to the intel stock cooler? If that's the case i'll just order it asap, else i'm going to be stuck with this sound for a while I guess (if the cooler is broken thus causing the sound).

Specs:
➤ CPU: Intel core i5 4670
➤ GPU: Gigabyte windforce OC GTX 1070
➤ RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600
➤ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
➤PSU: Cooler Master B500

Sedivy

Estimable
It's not across the board, as your system temps show one near 80 (presumably the temp sensor near the cpu) and the other one is in 40s.
As for the sound, if it's not the mounting, you can still check the fan. If you..hmm. If you only use the psu (unplug the rest of the components) and plug your cpu fan into it directly via a molex adapter (if you've got one), see if it's spinning and if you can hear the noise still.
Your cpu does show at 100% usage so it might be why you're having high temps though I'd still get a different cooler.
Yes your cooler will work on i7-7700k though that cpu tends to run a little hot so I'd actually get one of the higher performance coolers for it, if you're going air. Take a look at this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html
I don't think a cpu upgrade at this moment is necessary really, if you figure out the cooling situation.

Solution