450 watt power supply enough for vega 56?

klaven24

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I am thinking about replacing my rx 580 with a rx vega 56 later this year but I only have a 450 watt power supply. I am not planning to overclock the gpu so will my power supply be enough to handle it pr do I have to replace it with another one? I have a ryzen 5 1600 cpu if that helps. :??:

Solution
I use an R9 285 currently, which is rated at 190W vs the RX580's 185W. I have a 460 Watt power supply, providing 385W on the 12v rail. My CPU is an i5 Haswell rated at 84W.

I don't know what your current CPU is, so I don't know how much power that draws. Nor do I know how many DIMMs you have, how many fans, whether it's a big or small motherboard, etc.

I would probably think hard before considering putting a Vega 56 in with the existing power supply... I've been doing a few calculations, and I think adding a pair RAM sticks might theoretically push me over the edge in that regard - though, I know my motherboard power estimate is VERY much guesswork, and I probably could discount the power draw of the optical drive, because it has...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I use an R9 285 currently, which is rated at 190W vs the RX580's 185W. I have a 460 Watt power supply, providing 385W on the 12v rail. My CPU is an i5 Haswell rated at 84W.

I don't know what your current CPU is, so I don't know how much power that draws. Nor do I know how many DIMMs you have, how many fans, whether it's a big or small motherboard, etc.

I would probably think hard before considering putting a Vega 56 in with the existing power supply... I've been doing a few calculations, and I think adding a pair RAM sticks might theoretically push me over the edge in that regard - though, I know my motherboard power estimate is VERY much guesswork, and I probably could discount the power draw of the optical drive, because it has seen use maybe once or twice in the three years I've had this PC.

If the Ryzen 5 1600 is a significant drop from your current CPU's power usage, then, possibly. Still, I'd give yourself a little more cushion and go with a higher rated (and high quality) power supply.

Solution

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

It will work. Vega 56 will only pull 17.5 amps from the +12v rail. An OC'd 1800x draws 11.87 amps from the same rail. That's a total of 29.37 amps. 450W power supplies have 35 amps on the 12v rail. You're system will use LESS wattage since you only have an R5 1600. I would recommend upgrading the PSU later when you have the chance, but for now it will be okay.

Please, do not try to use anything above a vega 56.