1080ti good for 1080p 144hz?

Would like to get a constant 144fps in 1080p. BF1 ultra.
Please don't tell me its overkill!! Tired of reading that response in my searching.
My i7 4770 non k and 1070ftw will hold 90 to 120 fps with everything at low.
Will I be pleased with a 1080ti or disappointed? Or should I upgrade the 4770 also?
Could I please have some factual answers and not your insane or waisting your money answers.
Reply to Warstack
14 answers Last reply
More about 1080ti good 1080p 144hz
  1. You need CPU performance for BF1, not really more GPU horsepower. Easy enough to check. Set up a little monitoring on your computer so you can see CPU usage and GPU usage while running BF1. If the CPU, or even a single core, is completely maxed out you have your answer. If the GPU is not reaching 100% usage or nearly there, then it has room to produce more frames. (Which is already evident from you running the game on low and reaching a limit)
    Reply to Eximo
  2. Warstack said:
    Would like to get a constant 144fps in 1080p. BF1 ultra.
    Please don't tell me its overkill!! Tired of reading that response in my searching.
    My i7 4770 non k and 1070ftw will hold 90 to 120 fps with everything at low.
    Will I be pleased with a 1080ti or disappointed? Or should I upgrade the 4770 also?
    Could I please have some factual answers and not your insane or waisting your money answers.


    Your saying your 1070 was only getting 90 fps in BF1 with the settings turned to low? If that is the case, there is something wrong with your system.

    The problem with 1080p is that the bottleneck moves to the CPU. BF1 is a very CPU heavy game and your CPU will not keep the 1080ti fed at 1080p. But that is the case for just about any CPU especially for BF1. You don't have a bad CPU and I would not go for the "k" version as the performance increase is not that different. With all that being said, you should be able to get 144fps with a 1080ti on your system on BF1
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  3. That CPU is powerful enough and should be able to run BF 1 alongside a 1080 Ti with ease. To maintain at that platform you could grab a i7 4790, it should you give a little boost.

    If you have the cash, the best upgrade and course of action would be a switch over to a whole new platform, either Ryzen 5 or Intel i7 7700K. Those would give the top notch gaming performance.

    Nevertheless, the 1080 Ti is (as you've already read) much more than enough to play BF 1 @1080p, therefore you definitely will be pleased, even more if that monitor has G-Sync.
    Reply to manddy123
  4. Do some fault finding, not shopping.
    Reply to 13thmonkey
  5. 1080p low settings - CPU 90%. Gpu- 70-80% 90-120fps
    1080p ultra settings - CPU 85-90%. GPU 85-90%. 80-90fps.
    Was eventually going upgrade my complete system, 7700k 1080ti mobo, etc.
    I wanted to do it in pieces, and felt like a GPU would benefit more than a CPU/mobo would at first.
    Monkey, fault finding is pointing at the 4770 and dell mobo, but most say I am fine with the 4770.
    Reply to Warstack
  6. It is certainly an upgrade you can do now, just don't expect the world with the CPU at ~90%.
    Reply to Eximo
  7. It's the CPU constraining the GPU in BF1.
    Reply to 13thmonkey
  8. Warstack said:
    1080p low settings - CPU 90%. Gpu- 70-80% 90-120fps
    1080p ultra settings - CPU 85-90%. GPU 85-90%. 80-90fps.
    Was eventually going upgrade my complete system, 7700k 1080ti mobo, etc.
    I wanted to do it in pieces, and felt like a GPU would benefit more than a CPU/mobo would at first.
    Monkey, fault finding is pointing at the 4770 and dell mobo, but most say I am fine with the 4770.


    How much RAM do you have? Are you running in DX 11 or DX 12?

    A 6700k and a 1070 will get you an average of 125fps at 1080p. So your system is averaging 85fps, then that is more than a 33% difference. The difference in a 4770 and a 6700k is not nearly 33%. Intel does not make upgrades like that anymore.

    In fact, your system should be running 1440p around 80-90fps on BF1.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  9. feelinfroggy777 said:
    Warstack said:
    1080p low settings - CPU 90%. Gpu- 70-80% 90-120fps
    1080p ultra settings - CPU 85-90%. GPU 85-90%. 80-90fps.
    Was eventually going upgrade my complete system, 7700k 1080ti mobo, etc.
    I wanted to do it in pieces, and felt like a GPU would benefit more than a CPU/mobo would at first.
    Monkey, fault finding is pointing at the 4770 and dell mobo, but most say I am fine with the 4770.


    How much RAM do you have? Are you running in DX 11 or DX 12?

    A 6700k and a 1070 will get you an average of 125fps at 1080p. So your system is averaging 85fps, then that is more than a 33% difference. The difference in a 4770 and a 6700k is not nearly 33%. Intel does not make upgrades like that anymore.

    In fact, your system should be running 1440p around 80-90fps on BF1.



    It's not a K, so it suffers from lower stock clocks.
    4770 - 3.4 to 3.9
    6700k - 4.0 to 4.2

    That's most of your 33%,
    Reply to 13thmonkey
  10. 13thmonkey said:
    feelinfroggy777 said:
    Warstack said:
    1080p low settings - CPU 90%. Gpu- 70-80% 90-120fps
    1080p ultra settings - CPU 85-90%. GPU 85-90%. 80-90fps.
    Was eventually going upgrade my complete system, 7700k 1080ti mobo, etc.
    I wanted to do it in pieces, and felt like a GPU would benefit more than a CPU/mobo would at first.
    Monkey, fault finding is pointing at the 4770 and dell mobo, but most say I am fine with the 4770.


    How much RAM do you have? Are you running in DX 11 or DX 12?

    A 6700k and a 1070 will get you an average of 125fps at 1080p. So your system is averaging 85fps, then that is more than a 33% difference. The difference in a 4770 and a 6700k is not nearly 33%. Intel does not make upgrades like that anymore.

    In fact, your system should be running 1440p around 80-90fps on BF1.



    It's not a K, so it suffers from lower stock clocks.
    4770 - 3.4 to 3.9
    6700k - 4.0 to 4.2

    That's most of your 33%,


    If that is the case then why is my 7700k overclocked to 5ghz not 33% faster than the 6700k stock?
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  11. Thanks guys for your thoughts!!

    Feelinfrogy, l know this system should be running 1440p, but I don't want to game at 80-90fps. I would like to game at 144fps. Even if I have to stay at 1080p.
    I am running Win 7, so DX11. 16g ram.
    Most say the difference between 4770 and 7700 is not big enough, but the difference between a 1070 and 1080ti is huge.
    Suppose I will start with the 1080ti(cause I can sell the 1070 for half of the 1080ti price.) Then in a couple months get the 7700k, mobo, win 10, faster ram.
    Reply to Warstack
  12. Warstack said:
    Thanks guys for your thoughts!!

    Feelinfrogy, l know this system should be running 1440p, but I don't want to game at 80-90fps. I would like to game at 144fps. Even if I have to stay at 1080p.
    I am running Win 7, so DX11. 16g ram.
    Most say the difference between 4770 and 7700 is not big enough, but the difference between a 1070 and 1080ti is huge.
    Suppose I will start with the 1080ti(cause I can sell the 1070 for half of the 1080ti price.) Then in a couple months get the 7700k, mobo, win 10, faster ram.


    If the cpu is the problem, then upgrading the gpu will have no impact.
    Reply to 13thmonkey
  13. Warstack said:
    Thanks guys for your thoughts!!

    Feelinfrogy, l know this system should be running 1440p, but I don't want to game at 80-90fps. I would like to game at 144fps. Even if I have to stay at 1080p.
    I am running Win 7, so DX11. 16g ram.
    Most say the difference between 4770 and 7700 is not big enough, but the difference between a 1070 and 1080ti is huge.
    Suppose I will start with the 1080ti(cause I can sell the 1070 for half of the 1080ti price.) Then in a couple months get the 7700k, mobo, win 10, faster ram.


    I gotta say, I would sell that 1070 as fast as I could. It will never be worth more money due to mining.

    You still should be getting better performance with your current setup. I would go to userbenchmark.com and run a bench. It will test all your hardware and will tell you how it is performing.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  14. I will run that benchmark, thxs again!
    Reply to Warstack
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Intel i7