Solved

i7 6700T good for gaming?

Hello everyone!
Is this processor i7 6400T on par with the mentioned processor?
Will it be good for gaming?
Is this a good upgrade from my current AMD FX 8120?
My current PC specs-

AMD FX 8120 at stock
MSI 970A G46
Hyperx fury 8GB RAM
Asus Strix GTX 970
WD 7TB HDD(4+3)
XPro 550W PSU

All replies appreciated!
PS-I'll only put up my purchase if you guys approve.!
Reply to QARTS
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6700t good gaming
  1. This chip does not exist. I would assume you are talking about a i5 6400t. It is not a bad chip and is better than the 8120. But if I were you I would go with the i5 6500 as you will get better performance from it and it should be around the same price.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  2. You know that you will have to get a new motherboard and RAM to upgrade your CPU?

    If you are on a budget you may want to consider a Ryzen 3 system or a Ryzen 5 is you have a little more money.

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h/by_merchant/

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $277.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-18 10:05 EDT-0400
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  3. feelinfroggy777 said:
    This chip does not exist. I would assume you are talking about a i5 6400t. It is not a bad chip and is better than the 8120. But if I were you I would go with the i5 6500 as you will get better performance from it and it should be around the same price.


    I did find videos with the same name i7 6400T on youtube!
    Reply to QARTS
  4. feelinfroggy777 said:
    You know that you will have to get a new motherboard and RAM to upgrade your CPU?

    If you are on a budget you may want to consider a Ryzen 3 system or a Ryzen 5 is you have a little more money.

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h/by_merchant/

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $277.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-18 10:05 EDT-0400


    What is you opinion about getting an Xeon processor?
    also i'd appreciate if you can suggest me an appropriate and preferred site is-ebay.in
    Reply to QARTS
  5. QARTS said:
    feelinfroggy777 said:
    This chip does not exist. I would assume you are talking about a i5 6400t. It is not a bad chip and is better than the 8120. But if I were you I would go with the i5 6500 as you will get better performance from it and it should be around the same price.


    I did find videos with the same name i7 6400T on youtube!


    The videos on yourtube have the name wrong. But don't worry.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  6. QARTS said:
    feelinfroggy777 said:
    You know that you will have to get a new motherboard and RAM to upgrade your CPU?

    If you are on a budget you may want to consider a Ryzen 3 system or a Ryzen 5 is you have a little more money.

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h/by_merchant/

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $277.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-18 10:05 EDT-0400


    What is you opinion about getting an Xeon processor?
    also i'd appreciate if you can suggest me an appropriate and preferred site is-ebay.in


    Xeon is not a gaming processor. You would only want a Xeon if you want to build a workstation that can also game as a Xeon system would be expensive unless you are looking a much older generation.

    What is your budget? What country do you live in? If you live in the US, microcenter has the best prices of any retailer, but you would need to live near a store. Ebay is fine if you looking for used parts, but I think their prices are high for what you get. I have gotten a lot of good deals on Craigslist.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  7. feelinfroggy777 said:
    QARTS said:
    feelinfroggy777 said:
    You know that you will have to get a new motherboard and RAM to upgrade your CPU?

    If you are on a budget you may want to consider a Ryzen 3 system or a Ryzen 5 is you have a little more money.

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BC9g7h/by_merchant/

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $277.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-18 10:05 EDT-0400


    What is you opinion about getting an Xeon processor?
    also i'd appreciate if you can suggest me an appropriate and preferred site is-ebay.in


    Xeon is not a gaming processor. You would only want a Xeon if you want to build a workstation that can also game as a Xeon system would be expensive unless you are looking a much older generation.

    What is your budget? What country do you live in? If you live in the US, microcenter has the best prices of any retailer, but you would need to live near a store. Ebay is fine if you looking for used parts, but I think their prices are high for what you get. I have gotten a lot of good deals on Craigslist.


    Ummm,am from India and my budget is around 15K INR.
    Reply to QARTS
  8. Best answer
    Sorry, I am from the US and I have no idea how much 15K INR is. Your cheapest option is to go with a Ryzen 3 (1200 or 1300x) processor with a B350 motherboard and DDR4 Ram that is at least 3000mhz. If you have some more money, then go with Rzyzen 5 1600 instead.

    pcpartpicker.com is a good site to use that will help with compatibility as well.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Intel i7 Processors