980 Ti with i5 4670K Low Firestrike score?

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Hello Community.

I am not really happy with my gpu performance. I will post my Firestrike score below, which I consider to be pretty weak for my rig.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21645336

As you can see my Graphics Score is very much on the low end and so is my CPU score of around 7500.
I have the Asus Strix 980 TI running at the normal 1,200 ghz boost paired with my i5 running at the normal 3.8 ghz boost.
Both components maintain low temperatures during the test and my gpu usage is at a 100%.

I just did a clean driver reinstall but nothing changed.

What could be the root of this low score?
Thanks in advance.

MB: MSI Z87-g43
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Ram
GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI 6GB Gaming
CPU: Intel I5 4670 K

Solution

No, not necessarily. The GPU will perform better with more CPU behind it in stress testing like Firestrike. That doesn't mean the i5 is bottlenecking it. The GPU is still probably hitting 100 usage in gaming. But during some of the Firestrike tests, the CPU is made to hit 100% usage at the same time the GPU is made to hit 100% usage. So naturally, the faster, stronger i7 CPU will have more to give to the GPU when they are both stressed at 100%.

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Well I know that the CPU is bottlenecking me a bit, but shouldnt my graphics score be completely independent from my CPU? I have seen that the card reaches the voltage limit but I guess this doesn't matter considering its running at 1190 mhz throughout the whole test.

A friend of mine has the same GPU but he is rocking an Intel i7 3700. His graphics score is at 19000. But again, shouldn't our graphics scores be the same?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

No, not necessarily. The GPU will perform better with more CPU behind it in stress testing like Firestrike. That doesn't mean the i5 is bottlenecking it. The GPU is still probably hitting 100 usage in gaming. But during some of the Firestrike tests, the CPU is made to hit 100% usage at the same time the GPU is made to hit 100% usage. So naturally, the faster, stronger i7 CPU will have more to give to the GPU when they are both stressed at 100%.

Solution

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
I see, thank you for that. I will try to upgrade someday, but as of right now I still have good gaming performance. My fps plummet sometimes when in for example Battlefield 1 or generally where there are a lot of effects but i guess that is normal sometimes.
I hope that my 650W Psu is enough by the way, failed to mention that.

That graphics score is slightly lower than my GTX 1070. With stock clocks, that is what you'd expect. The good news is that the GTX 980ti overclocks very well, and is capable of much higher if you decide to push it. Compared to others with GTX 980ti's, you'd expect your score to be on the lower end if it's not clocked higher, as even most aftermarket 980ti's are clocked higher than 1200.

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Well, I sure hope nothing is wrong with the card. I will have a look at my temps and see if they allow any OC. I get 80° in rare instances but that is because one of my fans is dead and im currently waiting for the replacement to arrive.
About my PSU, do you guys think my 650W Psu will tolerate an upgrade to an i7 4770 or higher?
Thanks guys, i really appreciate it.