I7 3770 stock overheating ?

k400123

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hello.

I have a I7 3770 with a stock cooler at stocks clocks and while gaming on ultra settings the temps go up to 85 degrees. Ambient temperature is 30.

I had a problem with power draw on most parts so all the temps. were way lower than normal and today I finally fixed it the temps went up massively.

GPU went up to 75 while under load which is normal I guess but it's the CPU that I'm worried about.

I had to completely open my case up to get it down to stable 85 as while the case was closed it was reaching 92+. I have no additional coolers case coolers.

So a few questions.

Is a stable 85 too high while under load for few hours ? Is it possible for me to only change the thermal paste as it wasn't changed for 3 years or do I have to buy a new cooler as well ?

What are the target temps I should be looking for on this CPU idle/load. I know it's max temp. is 105 but I'd like to keep it under 80 if possible.

I have read many threads on this topic but couldn't find a consistent answer. Thank you!

Rig:

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 650W LT-650P
CPU: i7-3770
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
GPU: MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC
RAM: Transcend 2x8GB @1333Mhz
SDD: Kingston HyperX Savage 480GB SSD

Solution
With the stock cooler and a case with good ventilation, mine stays below 80°C. You need to improve airflow by installing an inlet fan at the front and an outlet fan at the rear.
Why don't you get an after-market cooler? Intel's stock coolers are crap, and that was tested many times, especially under heavy load/stress. Getting beyond 85 degrees should worry you, and you did get worried. A cheap air cooler (like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or Cryorig H7) would beat stock cooler any time, any day.