I7 3820 upgrade to a I7 3960x.. how to tell if the 3960x is going to work / freid?

static316

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
I have a

-Rampage Gene IV Mobo

Thinking i have to reinstall windows considering when i install the 3960x i only get a slight flicker of the loading light.. Does that mean that the processor is still good and working? It then just stays on without anything appearing onscreen.. I know that this is normally done when buying a new mobo but i really want this thing to work... I also did the test without the ram and got no beeping so maybe its a dud... I bought it off ebay and they said its a working processor... hmmm... If I do somehow find out how to get this thing to work, i'm hoping I would find out on here..

First, make sure your MB's hardware revision number and BIOS will support it...

Then, hope you actually get a functioning CPU....?

YOu are skipping several critical details...

YOur motherboard , for starters...

What is it?

Much more informative than mere 'disk busy light' indications would include:

As you have seemingly already swapped the processor, do you get a functioning POST display? Can you enter the BIOS? Is the processor correctly identified in the BIOS/POST display?

static316

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
LOL sry i was so tired... spent like all day troubleshooting what it could be... i use a Asus Rampage iv Gene.. and well.... its dead man... i tried all sorts of stuff... resurrection... processor pet cemetery....... jason and freddie kruger fusion.... Its not going to work.... so i figured im going to get a i7 4960x... and pray