From r9 290 to GTX 1070 worth upgrading?

Solution
I went 390 OC to 1070 and yes massiv step up. Not only big FPS boost, but less power consumption means less heat, quieter pc etc.

Vega as far as I can tell is a bit of a waste of time for gaming as it has no benefit over a 1070 (Vega 56) or 1080 (Vega 64). Run hotter, wayyy more power consumption and generally beaten in gaming by the Nvidia equals whilst being no less expensive.

I was a big amd GPU fan for years but they have lost it in my opinion.

michiel.w.breur

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Yes definitely, i went from 2 x 290x to 1 GTX1080 and it's awesome.
Just lookup a few benchmarks and you'll see.

However the rest of your hardware could have impact also.

HardPC123

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017

4770K CPU AND 16GB RAM

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
I would see it as a worthwhile upgrade, as long as you have games or programs you want to be able to run.
Im currently thinking of doing the same myself due to more recent games starting to lag behind a little and crossfire support at times being poor. In my case a 1080 would be worthwhile due to having performance similar to if both my cards were working with better pacing.

I would look at Vega prices compared to gtx 10 70's and 80's and go with whatever is cheapest, performance is quite close depending on which programs you use as benchies.

TLDR: Worth it if you want more performance ;) and choose whichever brand is cheaper.

I went 390 OC to 1070 and yes massiv step up. Not only big FPS boost, but less power consumption means less heat, quieter pc etc.

Vega as far as I can tell is a bit of a waste of time for gaming as it has no benefit over a 1070 (Vega 56) or 1080 (Vega 64). Run hotter, wayyy more power consumption and generally beaten in gaming by the Nvidia equals whilst being no less expensive.

I was a big amd GPU fan for years but they have lost it in my opinion.

Solution