£100 cpu upgrade or £500 mobo cpu ram upgrade

kieran_32

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
my current pc is on the fm2+ platform thinking bout upgrading to the x4 860k on the platform with a new cooler , or should i wait till end of year and get a zen 5 1600 and 16gb or ram with new mobo?

Solution
The R5 1600 is a considerably more well rounded cpu than the i5's currently, there's just too many games that can/are/will use more than 4 threads. The Ryzen might not top the i5 in older single thread games, especially the DX11 titles, but with AAA games, that style of coding is becoming obsolete. There's just too much graphical detailing, making for extremely long code strings. Easier by far to use 2x shorter strings instead.
The best gaming cpu currently is the i7-7700k, none of the Ryzen cpus can touch its IPC or its stock clocks and with 8thread capability it'll handle any game. But for a mid-grade build, Ryzen is simply the better option.

noobwithpc

Reputable
May 6, 2017

But Ryzen is extreme overkill if the PC is used for watching films, playing simple and non-CPU intensive games or office tasks. You could just buy Athlon x4 845 for £50 and spend the £450 for new furniture, for example.

kieran_32

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

i play triple a titles and want ultra ~90fps

noobwithpc

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Then you should really get the Ryzen. It will help the performance much more than new FM2+ processor. Also, at the end of the year there will be an Core i5 8th generation that may offer more power than Ryzen. But anyways, what is your current motherboard and processor? You may be able to overclock it and make the waiting less painful.

noobwithpc

Reputable
May 6, 2017

That's not true, every computer A4 has 2 cores, and Athlon x4 has 4 cores of better architecture and higher frequencies, so it's rather 20-50 fps boost. But anyways, this is not necessary right now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only real 2x kinds of AAA games out now, heavy single thread like cs:go, LoL, rocket league etc which generally use 1-2 threads or multiple thread games which can run on 4 threads, barely, but are optimized for 5-8 thread usage. Non of the FM2+ cpus can effectively deal with the multiple thread games, BF1 for instance will put any i5 to 100% cpu usage, and with Amd only having @ ⅔ the IPC of a moderate i5, it's going to tank, hard, there won't be anything close to 20-50fps gains, more like 2-5fps at best. The best hope is for the single thread heavy games, which plays into the 4 threads or less of the FM2+ cpus, but you still have to deal with the lousy IPC, which will throttle the cpu if paired with a decent gpu. For FM2+ cpus, anything more than a gtx1050ti is going to have negative effects on the cpu. Even if it's an A4-5300 (lower end A4 at 3.4GHz) or an X4 860k (top end at 3.7GHz) the differences are negligible in computing speeds and power.

Pretty much, for a AAA gaming pc, you'll need either a newer i7 or a Ryzen 5. Anything less is wasted money as the cpu won't be enough to handle the workload AAA titles are demanding now. 2 years ago, a quad core was enough, but things have changed,enough that even top ranked i5's are in trouble.

kieran_32

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

i will be doing it at the end of year my choice is , ryzen 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads or i5 with a possible 4 cores no threaads
so i will probably go with ryzen and i am gonna be preparing a pcpart picker build

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The R5 1600 is a considerably more well rounded cpu than the i5's currently, there's just too many games that can/are/will use more than 4 threads. The Ryzen might not top the i5 in older single thread games, especially the DX11 titles, but with AAA games, that style of coding is becoming obsolete. There's just too much graphical detailing, making for extremely long code strings. Easier by far to use 2x shorter strings instead.
The best gaming cpu currently is the i7-7700k, none of the Ryzen cpus can touch its IPC or its stock clocks and with 8thread capability it'll handle any game. But for a mid-grade build, Ryzen is simply the better option.

Solution