Is a 1080 overkill for 2560 by 1080 display?

compute.life

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
Before you hall off an say absolutely please read the rest.
The question really isn't is it over kill the question how much overkill is it. I want to run games at that resolution but at 100 frames or higher and yes my monitors refesh rate is 144htz and I am running an ryzen 1800x and am running a r9 furyx and most of myngames run at 50-60 fps but I want better. So the question stands will a 1080 help my system break through the 100fps ceiling or is there anything else I could upgrade that would help?
Thank you for your time.

Solution
Getting a 1080 is pretty much never a bad option. It is a relatively new GPU and offers lots of features. For what your doing, yes it may be a bit overkill but I would say if you have the money and are looking, this is a great option. The 1080 is relatively new and wont age with new technology as quickly as say a 1050 would. Yes its more but if will last you longer in terms of new technology. Really its up to you and what you really feel comfortable doing. For what you want you could just use a 1060 or a 1070, but those will age faster than a 1080. Also the 1080 can provide multiple monitor displays and play triple a titles for quite some time. Hope this helped your choice. :)

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Getting a 1080 is pretty much never a bad option. It is a relatively new GPU and offers lots of features. For what your doing, yes it may be a bit overkill but I would say if you have the money and are looking, this is a great option. The 1080 is relatively new and wont age with new technology as quickly as say a 1050 would. Yes its more but if will last you longer in terms of new technology. Really its up to you and what you really feel comfortable doing. For what you want you could just use a 1060 or a 1070, but those will age faster than a 1080. Also the 1080 can provide multiple monitor displays and play triple a titles for quite some time. Hope this helped your choice. :)

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

a gtx 1080 alone will not do it, you need a cpu capable of keeping up

sadly ryzen is not that great for high refresh rate gaming
you choose the wrong setup for that

ryzen will limit your fps

My results with a 6600k@4.4 and 1080@2000 at that resolution

Witcher 3 ultra - 100fps ave but will stay above 120 with some settings dropped
Division - 80-100 ultra but could drop settinfs
Those are gpu limited (CPU still has some headroom)

It's a great card. For 2560x1080 and it can be sitting around 80% unstressed and deliver 75fps which is my monitor refresh and EVERYTHING is maxed.

compute.life

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

How much am I limited by the 1800x I mean I know its not the greatest thing for gaming ever but I do like to dabble in 3d modeling and would like to get into game creation and I found the 1800x to be the better choice over the I7 7600 for computing use outside of gaming. But this is beside the point you say the 1800x is limited in high fps gaming but how limiting is it? From all the information I have gathered it is more than capable of high refresh rate gaming not the greatest but definitely capable. From everything I could find on bench marks it was only 10 frames or less behind intells competing chip? which I get it 10 frames is 10 frames but still.