i5 6400 bottlenecks a gtx 1050

Solution
Really running out of ideas here. Maybe you should try re-installing Windows, though I doubt it'll fix anything. Maybe try running an AIDA64 stress test and check for thermal throttling on the CPU and GPU. Also run Memtest86 for at least an hour.

Can you please be more specific? How did you determine it's bottlenecking? In what scenario is it bottlenecking? What are your full system specs? Temperatures and clock speeds of both components?

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

the rest of the specs are:

8g of ddr3 ram
h11om-k motherboard
450w psu
both of the cpu and gpu are about 60C
the cpu is maxing out allmost in every game, and the gpu usage is changing depenes on the graphics settings.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

it can be a software issue?

The software might be reporting incorrect usages, but usually they don't, especially with well-settled hardware like yours(by well-settled I mean that the software has been optimized for your hardware since it's relatively old now). But there's still a chance it might.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

i forgot to say that when my game settings are in the absolute highest, the gpu is close to maxing out and the cpu is in about 60-80 precent depense on the game. in overwatch when i cranck the settings to epic the it happens. but the fps is lower than i would like: 50-60 with rare drops to high 40s at 1080p

And when you lower the details to, say high, what happens to the FPS? GTX 1050 is a little under-powered for Epic details I'd say. It might pull of Ultra, but epic is a bit too much. turn down the details to Ultra, and then check the GPU and CPU usages, and report them back. Also tell us the FPS you get at ultra details.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

in ultra, my cpu is in about 90-100 precent usage and my gpu is about 70-90 and the fps is about 70-80 with drops to the 60s and 50s (not that often) so just in epic settings icant manage to get the full potential performance but i wanna get 60 plus frames with the a good usage stability

There's definitely something wrong here. The i5 6400 can even utilize a GTX 1050 Ti to its full extent in Overwatch at 1080p, as can be seen in the i5-6400 run of this video(starts at around the 14:00 mark):

https://youtu.be/05ovUyNQpoc

Open Task Manager, and in the Performance tab, check the clock speed of your CPU. It should be listed under the 'Speed' section. When idle, the clock speed should be around the 2.7 GHz range. While under load, it should temporarily increase to as high as 3.3 GHz.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

every thing is good in terms of that.... i think it is the software..
should i try reinstall windows?

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

i know it is not an haardware issue at least because my fps is about low 70 an high 60s at 70-80 precent usage and he had about 85 fps average in combat with 1050 ti with 99 precent usage all of the time.

The problem is not the FPS, but the fact that the GPU is not being used a full 99%. When the GPU is not being fully used, it means that the CPU is bottlenecking it, regardless of CPU usage. Since your GPU usage is not at 99%, it means the CPU is bottlenecking the graphics card, which is a problem. You should start off with re-installing the monitoring app you're using. Use MSI Afterburner, it is the most reliable in this regard.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

i do use msi afterburner, and i can tell that the gpu usage is changing with the fps so there is no problem with the monitoring

Really running out of ideas here. Maybe you should try re-installing Windows, though I doubt it'll fix anything. Maybe try running an AIDA64 stress test and check for thermal throttling on the CPU and GPU. Also run Memtest86 for at least an hour.

Solution

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

i will try it, thx for help :)
although i didnt see any thermal throttling in any time :/
i think i will leave it as it is...
it isnt like it drusticly lowering the performance, and in games that are more gpu intensive,there is no problem(in gta v i had problems but in other game not)
thx again for helping!