is this a r9 290, and is it worth it?

adam21a

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Hey all!

A friend of mine wants me to buy his r9 videocard. (and he's not so sure which r9 it is)
It has 3 fans so I guess it can't be a r9 280 (?) Here you can see it yourself:
https://gyazo.com/0fd641840c26eb75eaf5b5138dc1d690

So my question is: is this a r9 290, and is it a good alternative for the rx 570? It's half the price of the rx 570.

I also have a 520w seasonic 80+ bronze psu. Would it be sufficient since i have a i3 6100?

Thanks in advance.

-Adam

Solution
Certainly looks like a 290 but as suggested, having GPU-Z or similar program verify it is best.

Also those cards take some serious power.
You need a QUALITY 700w PSU for most of those 3xfan models, key word being quality. If it is not a 80 plus gold PSU by SeaSonic, EVGA, SuperFlower, XFX, or Corsair then I would be very skeptical of it being able to actually power it (and possibly end up damaging it).
You will also need a good gaming case with good airflow.

So if you dont have a top notch 700w+ PSU and good cooling then it will be cheaper to buy a 570 or 580.
Yes, but make sure you're getting a good deal out of it of course. While r9 290 is right around an RX 570, it runs very hot because it draws a little more than twice the power. I wouldn't be paying more than $175 even given the mining craziness.

That's a huge card, so chances are it is a 290 variant R9. living in the States I had never heard of that video card vendor "Club 3D" and had to look it up. You can have your friend download and install GPU-Z and then take a screenshot of the information. It will say what type of GPU it is if you want to be 100% sure. Link for the download here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/gpu-z-download-techpowerup.html

But that's a several generation old card that uses a lot of power and kicks out a lot of heat. There are newer used GPUs that offer more efficiency and performance for the same used value. Thanks to cryptomining, they are selling for between $250-$300USD here in America, about what used GTX 980s are selling for which are far faster and less power hungry.

Its a 290 or 290x royal ace
They're the only cards that came with that triple fan configuration.

You'll get away with the seasonic 520 seeing as you're only running a 65w CPU - no overclocking though for sure ,these cards can peak at around 300w at times at stock.

You also need to have really really good case airflow to deal with these cards.

adam21a

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Im getting it for 100 euros. maybe even less. Good deal?

adam21a

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

I dont really have a good airflow. 1 fan intake and 1 fan out. cheap sharkoon fans.

adam21a

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

It's not in his pc and I'm going to get it for 100 euros or less.

Certainly looks like a 290 but as suggested, having GPU-Z or similar program verify it is best.

Also those cards take some serious power.
You need a QUALITY 700w PSU for most of those 3xfan models, key word being quality. If it is not a 80 plus gold PSU by SeaSonic, EVGA, SuperFlower, XFX, or Corsair then I would be very skeptical of it being able to actually power it (and possibly end up damaging it).
You will also need a good gaming case with good airflow.

So if you dont have a top notch 700w+ PSU and good cooling then it will be cheaper to buy a 570 or 580.

Solution
For 100 euros, I'd say it's a good deal. That 520W seasonic PSU should handle it seeing as the CPU is an i3 6100 and the other components wont contribute major amounts to the amount of power needed to run.

But like everyone says, do verify it with GPU-Z or something. Make sure it's legit.