i5-7500 to i7-6700k possible?

tamiraan

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,

I apologize in advance for the newbie question. I have several i7-6700 CPUs I'd like to test it on a pc currently configured with i5-7500. Mobo is Gigabyte H270-HD3. When I simply swapped the CPUs, windows won't load and keep restarting. It looks like the i7 CPU is recognized in the BIOS. Is there certain procedure that I'm missing, specially with windows 10 setup somewhere?
Please advise
TN

Solution
If you are a tech savvy person, With several CPU's laying around I'm pretty sure you know what you're doing.

I'd unplug your main OS drive along with other drives just in case, Install a spare HDD/SSD and reinstall windows onto it and then swap out CPU's and let windows on the spare drive and let it install the drivers and what not, that way it won't mess your primary windows install up.

I've seen it to where It could deactivate windows, or mess up the install.
If you are a tech savvy person, With several CPU's laying around I'm pretty sure you know what you're doing.

I'd unplug your main OS drive along with other drives just in case, Install a spare HDD/SSD and reinstall windows onto it and then swap out CPU's and let windows on the spare drive and let it install the drivers and what not, that way it won't mess your primary windows install up.

I've seen it to where It could deactivate windows, or mess up the install.

Solution