FX 6300 Overclock:Max safe voltage

JianweiGao

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
I know how to overclock an CPU but not too sure about how much I can overclock without damage the cpu or the Motherboard

Motherboard:Asus - M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
CPU:AMD - FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU fan: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Solution
Not really a motherboard I would recommend you overclock on, it has a 4 phase VRM and no heatsink on the VRM. The HYPER T2 isn't the greatest cooler for overcloking either. If you can keep temps in check, maybe 1.3 to 1.35v VCORE would be alright. I would personally rig up a fan so it points right at the VRM of that mobo if you try an overclock.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Not really a motherboard I would recommend you overclock on, it has a 4 phase VRM and no heatsink on the VRM. The HYPER T2 isn't the greatest cooler for overcloking either. If you can keep temps in check, maybe 1.3 to 1.35v VCORE would be alright. I would personally rig up a fan so it points right at the VRM of that mobo if you try an overclock.

Solution

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Ya, you will have to do something to keep the VRM cool otherwise you won't get too far in your OC adventure. Also, as mentioned the phase count and current capability of the VRM are not adequate for OC.

I tried to OC an FX-8370 on the much more capable M5A97 EVO and it wasn't up to the task. It HAS a factory VRM heatsink and even with extra fans installed it was still thermal throttling like crazy.