1060 6gb isnt working properly

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
I'm not sure why but this gpu just wont work right. without installing the nvidia driver, it runs fine, everything works, minus the fact that it crashes on games. (but I'm not sure if that's normal) but when i install the driver, the screen glitches out and everything goes crazy, remove the driver, and its fine. i don't understand.
i've tried everything already, different motherboards, psu cables, even reset windows to remove any chance of a driver interfering.
i just got the card as well, is it dead?

also: when a game starts while the nvidia driver is installed, the textures and models glitch everywhere wildly

specs: 8320e
8gb ddr3 ram
600w PSU
240gb SSD
1060 6gb (put in my old r9 280 for now till i sort out the issue)

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Which driver package are you installing? If you are using the disc that came with the card, you should download the most recent driver package online. If you ARE using the recommended package I would download a few older versions and try them as well.

EDIT: What procedure did you use when first installing the card. I see that you changed vendors. Did you do a clean uninstall of the previous card's drivers and software?

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017

i installed the latest, then i also tried using the one that came with the card, both were a no go.
the first thing i did before installing the card (while i still had my old one in) was uninstall all my old AMD drivers.
when it didnt work i did a full windows reset, wiped everything. when installing the card, i turned off my system, switched off the psu, and unplugged it from the wall. I like to be safe. removed my old 280 then put in the new one, put in all the wires, etc, and started it up. currenting on the 1060 giving it one last shot to try to fix it. this it what my screen looks like.
6562497c1eb8ee0537f5ddb7dd91d3a5.jpg
fairly sure its just dead

Cioby

Distinguished
I've never seen a GPU do that even with the wrong driver. And Nvidia usually doesn't let you install the wrong driver (for another card).
Did you install the beta driver? Did you install the last stable one with the Nvidia experience included?

Also one last stupid question but it happens, did you mount it properly in the motherboard/case? Like it doesn't move at all and it penetrated through the back of the case support with the metal part.

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017

no there isnt any wobble, nor was it a beta driver, yes i installed the latest one