Solved

What should I upgrade first my GPU or CPU?

Hello everybody i just want to ask what should i upgrade first my GPU or CPU?

I actually have a Phenom II 1100t oc to 3.8ghz, 6gb ddr2 and a R9 270x.

What should I buy first?

A new CPU, probably a Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700.

Mobo im thinking about Gigabyte Gaming 3 or Asus B350F Strix

Or

A new VGA, probably a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070, or maybe a Vega 56.

Thanks in advange peps. :)

I'm planning to play only in 1080p, never more than that.

And the games are mainly CS:GO, Overwatch, BF4, BF1, The Witcher 3 and Dying Light.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade gpu cpu
  1. For immediate satisfaction, get a faster gfx card. But for long term satisfaction, plan on a new platform.
    New card and old platform = improved gameplay
    Old card and new platform = about the same gameplay
  2. clutchc said:
    For immediate satisfaction, get a faster gfx card. But for long term satisfaction, plan on a new platform.
    New card and old platform = improved gameplay
    Old card and new platform = about the same gameplay


    Thanks for the info :)

    Another question hehe

    Which VGA you think its better on price per performance: gtx 1060 6gb, gtx 1070 or Vega 56?
  3. Please upgrade your cpu/mono/ram first you will be happier in the long run and it will give you time to hold out for Volta besides GPUs are price gauged at the moment.
  4. Kunra Zether said:
    Please upgrade your cpu/mono/ram first you will be happier in the long run and it will give you time to hold out for Volta besides GPUs are price gauged at the moment.


    So, wait for Volta, because older GTX and Vega will have their prices reduced?
  5. I'd say build your new computer first(CPU/mb/ram) then upgrade the videocard last. Two reasons, one you can bring the old videocard with you. Yes it's kind of low end for today's games, but at least you CAN game on it. Two, right now due to mining, videocard prices of the 1060/580 level and better are too high. It's best not to buy a card of that category right now unless you absolutely have to, which you don't. Worst case, prices are still high when you're ready to buy the videocard, best case they are a lot less expensive. You have nothing to lose by waiting and a lot to potentially gain.
  6. dontlistentome said:
    I'd say build your new computer first(CPU/mb/ram) then upgrade the videocard last. Two reasons, one you can bring the old videocard with you. Yes it's kind of low end for today's games, but at least you CAN game on it. Two, right now due to mining, videocard prices of the 1060/580 level and better are too high. It's best not to buy a card of that category right now unless you absolutely have to, which you don't. Worst case, prices are still high when you're ready to buy the videocard, best case they are a lot less expensive. You have nothing to lose by waiting and a lot to potentially gain.


    It's a good point, btw, how much did vga prices increased because of mining?
    Any suggestion between 1060 / 1070 / vega56 / one rx series ?
  7. AMD cards took the biggest price hit due to mining because of their architecture. Nvidia, not so much. But because they have (had) the game market to themselves, Nvidia even kept their prices higher than normal.

    It's really up to you. Do you want to spend a whole lot for a totally new platform including the gfx card, or just upgrade what you have to max it out with a gfx card?

    Have you checked out what the old PhII X6 1100T is going for used?
  8. clutchc said:
    AMD cards took the biggest price hit due to mining because of their architecture. Nvidia, not so much. But because they have (had) the game market to themselves, Nvidia even kept their prices higher than normal.

    It's really up to you. Do you want to spend a whole lot for a totally new platform including the gfx card, or just upgrade what you have to max it out with a gfx card?

    Have you checked out what the old PhII X6 1100T is going for used?


    Right now, if i need to choose just one thing, it would be something that gives me more fps in CS:GO, BF4, The Witcher 3 and Dying Light.

    For mobo and cpu its almost clear, ryzen 1600/1700, gigabyte gaming 3 or asus strix b350f. (i already have a 8gb ddr4 2400 here with me)

    But when it comes to Vga, im totally in doubt, if its better a 1060, 1070, vega 56 or a rx 480/580. And i have no guess about when the prices will go down. :s

    And I cant sell my 1100t because i'll give it to my family. Probably i will give it and exchange for money to buy one of these 3 things ( half the cpu price, the full mobo price or half the vga price)
  9. Get the GTX 1070. If you keep the Phenom II X6 platform, it will still be amazing. And when you decide to go for the new platform, you'll have enough gfx card to max out any game. (assuming you're not on a 4K monitor)
  10. clutchc said:
    Get the GTX 1070. If you keep the Phenom II X6 platform, it will still be amazing. And when you decide to go for the new platform, you'll have enough gfx card to max out any game. (assuming you're not on a 4K monitor)


    Actually I have a 1366x766 monitor, but I plan to buy one to play in 1080p and if possible play in 144hz or more in csgo.
    more than 1080p is too big for me.

    So, in my situation, the better is to wait a little to vga prices reduce, and to buy a 1070 instead a 1060, vega 56 or rx 480/580?

    Thanks for the help (y)
  11. Best answer
    If you game at 720p, the 1070 is obviously way overkill. Even the 1060 and the AMD cards. But when you get the 1080p/144Hz display, either of them will pay off.
    I only suggested Nvidia because the AMD cards are still way overpriced thanks to the bitcoin miners. At least here in the US where I live. If you live somewhere that has them at competitive prices (and available), then the 580 or Vega 56 would be acceptable.
    Prices aside, any of those would be good choices. Until recently, I had as many AMD cards as Nvidia in my collection. But I sold my AMD cards for outrageous prices to hungry miners. I wonder if any of them got rich?
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs CPUs Motherboards