I5-6600 (NON OC) Bottleneck GTX 1080TI?

computermonkey201

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Hi, i would like to ask if a I5-6600 non k would bottleneck a gtx 1080ti
I am upgrading from a GTX 1060 because i am not getting a lot of frames in games i play and i just want steady high frames (competitive games low settings)

Build
I5- 6600
GTX ASUS ROG STRIX 1060 6GB
12 GB DDR4 RAM 2133 (2X 4GB , bought a single 4gb stick because i was stupid)
144hz Benq Monitor

Solution

Maybe 'hot' was too strong a word to use...
ALL kaby lake chips will run warmer than what YOU'RE USED TO. It won't make a worthwhile difference, between temps, to get the 7700 over the 7700k as you won't be able to overclock either from the get go... plus the 7700k has higher clock speeds anyway. Get the 7700k. You can use your old stock cooler on it too.

Whenever, or IF you even decide that MAYBE later you want to get a z-series motherboard and overclock, THEN you'll need a new cooler.
if you are running at 4k, the minimal bottleneck will not be as noticeable, save for perhaps a few games where 4c/4t systems are beginning to have issues...

You'd might do better to run off of 8 GB of RAM in dual channel for gaming than to have 12 GB in single channel mode, but, you can compare framerates yourself....; might not matter.

blockhead78

Distinguished
what resolution are you playing at?

with a 1080ti, running at low settings can sometimes have the opposite effect and make things worse. The easier a job the GPU has, the more frames it generates. Which in turn makes more work for the CPU to keep up

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Agreeing with blockhead78's post. You'll see little improvement, and performance will actually go down in some cases.
If low res, high fps settings are what you want, upgrading the cpu, not the gpu, should net higher performance between the two.
Consider moving to an I7.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

No need for a new gpu, as playing at low settings like that kinda defeats the purpose of getting a new one in the first place.
And no need for a new mobo just yet, but update to your motherboard's latest BIOS with your current cpu before switching in a kaby lake cpu, or it won't work.
Also, be aware of the 7700k's higher operating temps. It'll be fine with your I5's stock cooler, but if you ever decide you want to overclock, you will need an aftermarket cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

As long as you update to the latest BIOS while using the I5, yes. It's necessary for sky lake boards to detect kaby lake cpus. You could always change mobos at a later time.

That cooler will be fine. Again, keep in mind the 7700k will have higher operating temps than what you're familiar with. If you ever decide to overclock, sans new mobo, you're gonna need a beefier cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Umm... I've already answered this in my last 2 posts.
Again...
YOU MUST UPDATE TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD'S LATEST BIOS WHILE USING YOUR I5 BEFORE SWITCHING TO THE I7.
Sorry for caps, but since you seemed to miss this in the other posts...

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

If you're not going to be updating your motherboard, go for the 7700. It's still a respectable chip.

If you DO want to upgrade your motherboard to enable overclocking, I suggest waiting for coffee lake and getting a 8600k.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Maybe 'hot' was too strong a word to use...
ALL kaby lake chips will run warmer than what YOU'RE USED TO. It won't make a worthwhile difference, between temps, to get the 7700 over the 7700k as you won't be able to overclock either from the get go... plus the 7700k has higher clock speeds anyway. Get the 7700k. You can use your old stock cooler on it too.

Whenever, or IF you even decide that MAYBE later you want to get a z-series motherboard and overclock, THEN you'll need a new cooler.

Solution

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

I don't think an ordinary stock cooler will be sufficient for a 7700k.

Ouch....

Yes, your processor is marginal for providing enough data to a 1080Ti to produce the desired fps in newest games for that high of a refresh rate....

Flash your BIOS, and put a 7700K on order ASAP! 700 MHz higher base clock, hyperthreading/4 more threads....; they are not cheap, but, you'll be in gaming heaven for 2 years afterward with that CPU and that GPU! :)