Help RX 480 8gb no display on first PCIE [MSI z97 PC mate]

XcarnaTioN

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I've been using RX 480 8GB for quite a while now, today when I tried to turn on my PC monitor goes blank - keyboard mouse had their lights ON and keyboard caps/scroll lock lights responded correctly. So I opened the case and checked connections - everything was fine GPU fan was rotating but I had no display.
Upon using motherboard display port I got my monitor back so I used DDU [Display Driver Uninstaller] and cleaned everything and plugged GPU in my 2nd PCI-E slot so I got my display back with GPU and reinstalled drivers. But I can't get display on first PCI-E slot HELP!

PC specs

Processor Intel core i5 4690k
Ram 8gb 1866mhz hyper X
GPU RX 480 8gb saphhire [Blower Fan version]
PSU Coolermaster Thunder 450W
500GB Sata Hard disk

Solution
yeah, go for the bios troubleshooting first if you haven't already

less invasive than checking the socket pins. Probably best to leave that until the end

blockhead78

Distinguished
so after a ddu wipe and using the 2nd pcie slot, the 1st pcie slot still doesn't work

that would suggest one of the following:
bios issues - reset everything to default, clear cmos, if that doesn't work, reflash the bios (even if it's already up to date)
dust/dirt build up in pcie slot or on pcie contacts on gpu - clean both of them
bent socket pins - although unlikely if the CPU has been untouched and working for a while, but bent socket pins can disrupt the pcie controller
faulty gpu - I have seen situations before where this can be a symptom of a faulty GPU. If the above doesn't work, try the GPU in another rig if possible