Solved

best gaming am3+ motherboard

I go through lots of reviews. but I'm still confused. I want a good enough am3+motherboard. I play lots of games. so need heavy duty motherboard. I have AMD FX 6300 and AMD radion 7770 graphics card
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming am3 motherboard
  1. Do you have a motherboard currently? what is the issue with it?
  2. I used gigabyte 970A-DS3P before. I didn't know why but last 3,4 months it automatically shutdown. and now it's not booting.
    first I planed for gigabyte 970 gaming G1 then I did some research thn I thought asus 970 pro gaming aura would be best. now I find gigabyte 990Fx would be good. I'm getting more confused
  3. Whats the rest of your specs including power supply, it sounds more likely that the power supply is the issue instead of the motherboard.
  4. The 970A-DS3P supports 125 watt processors, so the motherboard is likely not your problem.

    If your CPU is overheating, this may be the source of your problem. Have you looked at temperatures yet?
  5. I have AMD FX 6300 and AMD radion 7770 graphics card, 2×4gb of corsair vengeance, corsair tx 650. and I test my motherboard. it's dead .
  6. no I didn't. but I think that overheating killed my motherboard. coz I test it. it's not booting up. even cpu fan doesn't run in full speed.
  7. If you want to stick with Gigabyte, they have some very nice boards. I use their GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) with my FX-8320.

    Here's a comparison of some of their models (the website only lets you compare 4 at a time, but it gives you an idea): http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/2?pids=4658,5292,5294,5825
    -- there's an SLI model of the Gaming motherboard, where in dual mode the slots work at x8/x8 (http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/2?pids=4658,5292,5294,5774)
  8. spdragoo said:
    If you want to stick with Gigabyte, they have some very nice boards. I use their GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) with my FX-8320.

    Here's a comparison of some of their models (the website only lets you compare 4 at a time, but it gives you an idea): http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/2?pids=4658,5292,5294,5825
    -- there's an SLI model of the Gaming motherboard, where in dual mode the slots work at x8/x8 (http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/2?pids=4658,5292,5294,5774)

    mmmmm.... so the comparison seems that those motherboard are pretty much same in performance . some of them got extra features. so, if I want a motherboard that has basic features and good cooling system. don't need m.2 or overclock. just want heavy gaming durability, and long lasting, good heatsink. then which one will be better?
  9. All AM3+ motherboards are going to give you identical performance, provided they support the CPU you're using. The only possibility for different performance would be in the case of multiple graphics cards in CrossFire or SLI, as the 990FX platform has more PCI-e lanes, and you still wouldn't see this difference unless you were using significantly faster graphics cards than you are now.

    How have you determined that your current motherboard is dead?

    Have you replaced your current power supply with one you know is good, and tried to power it up?

    How do you know your current CPU is good?

    I would suspect your CPU to die from overheating as much as I would your motherboard.

    Why did these things overheat in the first place? Overheating has nothing to do with a good or bad design of motherboard. Pictures of your board show the VRM section does include a heat sink, so the likelihood of malfunction there is certainly not as high as had you been running a cheapo board.

    At this point, I wouldn't spend much money to try and resurrect an AM3+ system, especially on a high end AM3+ motherboard, and even more so when you don't sound certain that is even what's wrong with it. That's just going to be wasted money. An FX 6300 is not a high end CPU needing high end support and is only rated at 95 watts, which is far below what your old motherboard supported.

    The money you will likely spend to buy a high end AM3+ motherboard would be better spent towards an AM4 motherboard with a 4c/8t CPU and DDR RAM modules, although the total cash outlay for these three parts will likely run 2x what you will spend for just a good replacement AM3+ motherboard.
  10. bigpinkdragon286 said:
    All AM3+ motherboards are going to give you identical performance, provided they support the CPU you're using. The only possibility for different performance would be in the case of multiple graphics cards in CrossFire or SLI, as the 990FX platform has more PCI-e lanes, and you still wouldn't see this difference unless you were using significantly faster graphics cards than you are now.

    How have you determined that your current motherboard is dead?

    Have you replaced your current power supply with one you know is good, and tried to power it up?

    How do you know your current CPU is good?

    I would suspect your CPU to die from overheating as much as I would your motherboard.

    Why did these things overheat in the first place? Overheating has nothing to do with a good or bad design of motherboard. Pictures of your board show the VRM section does include a heat sink, so the likelihood of malfunction there is certainly not as high as had you been running a cheapo board.

    At this point, I wouldn't spend much money to try and resurrect an AM3+ system, especially on a high end AM3+ motherboard, and even more so when you don't sound certain that is even what's wrong with it. That's just going to be wasted money. An FX 6300 is not a high end CPU needing high end support and is only rated at 95 watts, which is far below what your old motherboard supported.

    The money you will likely spend to buy a high end AM3+ motherboard would be better spent towards an AM4 motherboard with a 4c/8t CPU and DDR RAM modules, although the total cash outlay for these three parts will likely run 2x what you will spend for just a good replacement AM3+ motherboard.


    I replace another smps but no response, I replace my cpu but same results. but when I test my cpu on another board it run without any disturbance.
    I understand that no need to spend money to get a high end motherboard. so I hope gigabyte 970 gaming G1 will be enough. please let me know if I correct.
  11. Best answer
    If it really is your motherboard that is defective, yes, any cheap AM3+ motherboard will do the trick. The GA-970-Gaming looks perfectly suitable as a replacement motherboard, and in fact, most of the 970 based Gigabyte boards appear to have a heat sink mounted over the VRM section, so should do fine. The only reasons to pick the newer Gaming board over the any of Gigabyte's older board products based on the same chipset would be USB 3.1 support, M.2 support, and the better audio codec support. Whether any of those will be of benefit is something you have to decide on.

    Of course, this goes back to the point I was trying to make in my other post that, no matter how much you spend on an AM3+ motherboard, you're at best going to maintain the status quo, and will not improve performance in any way at all. Performance of even the cheapest Ryzen 3, 4-core CPU is going to be better than what you're getting from an FX 6300 CPU.
  12. joybiswas said:
    spdragoo said:
    If you want to stick with Gigabyte, they have some very nice boards. I use their GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) with my FX-8320.

    Here's a comparison of some of their models (the website only lets you compare 4 at a time, but it gives you an idea): http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/2?pids=4658,5292,5294,5825
    -- there's an SLI model of the Gaming motherboard, where in dual mode the slots work at x8/x8 (http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/2?pids=4658,5292,5294,5774)

    mmmmm.... so the comparison seems that those motherboard are pretty much same in performance . some of them got extra features. so, if I want a motherboard that has basic features and good cooling system. don't need m.2 or overclock. just want heavy gaming durability, and long lasting, good heatsink. then which one will be better?


    I'd say either the GA-990FXA-UD3 (any version) or the GA-990FX-Gaming (v1.1). They'll provide everything you'd need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Motherboards